Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Live Music Options Wed & Thurs

The Format plays the Avalon on Thursday

Did I mention that I went to see Oh No! Oh My! last weekend at Spaceland? Either I was really tired, or I'm almost through with all the new indie pop bands. Hopefully I was just really tired. They weren't bad, but I just had no patience for it. Will I go back into a cocoon of old rock? I'm actually enjoying the upcoming Sparklehorse album and the My Morning Jacket double live album, so I don't think I'm ready to give up on new music completely.

Wednesday 8/30/06
Craig Wedren @ Sea Level 8:00 PM (Free) - The main guy from Shudder to Think.

Radio Birdman / The Bellrays @ the Wiltern ($25) - Radio Birdman is an Australian punk band that took a 25-year hiatus. The Bellrays are a local soul-rock band that I've written about before.

Thursday 8/31/06
The Format @ Avalon ($15) - I like the Format's new CD, Dog Problems. It's indie pop-ish (but a little more ambitious than most) and was produced by Steven McDonald of Redd Kross.

Talib Kweli @ Roxy ($18.50) - For the backpack rappers. I saw Talib Kweli one time at Coachella and he was damn good.

Manic / Yeti @ Spaceland – Yeti has some good buzz from the British press and this is one of two scheduled appearances in the States. The lead singer/guitarist was the bass player in the Libertines. Download “Midnight Flight

Occidental @ Safari Sam’s ($5)

1 comment:

Passion of the Weiss said...

That MMJ double live album really is incredible...glad I skipped that Oh No Oh My show...I thought about it but I had Wolf Parade that Friday and the Junction on Saturday...so I passed