Thursday, September 11, 2008

Okkervil River's "Singer Songwriter"


Here's my weekly reminder to tune in to Sinking with Sylvia and Todd (and Matt Dwyer) tomorrow on Little Radio from Noon to 2:00 PM. Their guests tomorrow will be Vibe Slayer who I don't know too much about, but I see that Charlie Wadhams and Josh Schwartz play with them (and that's a really good start). 

The official You Set the Scene pick for tomorrow is Okkervil River's "Singer Songwriter" off their new record, The Stand Ins. As you've probably read a hundred times by now, the record's a continuation of their last record. The songs mostly revolve around the concept of stand ins and deal with public vs. private faces, fame and celebrity. It admittedly sounds a little suspect o paper, but it's all executed extremely well. As I mentioned earlier, it's not as immediately catchy as The Stage Names, but(easily) has five or six really strong tracks. 

I'm already running crazy late for Spaceland, so I'll stop at that. Pick up the record though. And tune in to Little Radio tomorrow.


No comments: