Friday, November 11, 2005

Live Review: Early Man & Fu Manchu

I ended up going to the Early Man/Fu Manchu show at Spaceland on Wednesday night. I was really curious about Early Man and I don't go out to see metal very often so it seemed like a good opportunity. Early Man was pretty good. Their website states they're a duo, but they're touring with an extra guitar player and a bass player. The lead singer couldn't quite reach the Rob Halford notes that he hits on the record, but he was complaining about being sick "I think I have AIDS or something." I probably won't rush out to see them again, but I enjoyed myself. If they play a small venue with a small cover charge I recommend seeing them.

I've never listened to any Fu Manchu but kinda knew what to expect. Their style is not something I regularly listen to, but I can't deny their powerful live show. They are extremely tight and rock very hard. They've been playing quite a few local shows lately, but still brought out a good crowd. There was actually a mini-pit during one of the songs (and their fans aren't kids) - not something you see at Spaceland very often.

No comments: