Friday, September 22, 2006

Serena Maneesh Plays the Troubadour on Saturday
All these shows below look pretty good. If you only have time for one band this weekend, I'd make it Serena Maneesh (or maybe TV on the Radio).
Friday's Pick (take your pick - they're all about even)
TV on the Radio @ Amoeba 6:00PM (Free) – If you’re not going to the Bowl on Sunday night.
Mission of Burma @ the Troubadour ($20) – For the punk rock fans. “(That’s When I Reach for My) Revolver” is a damn good song. I’ve got their new one. It’s solid.

Ben Kweller / Sam Roberts @ Avalon ($23) – For the singer-songwriter fans. I reviewed Kweller’s album earlier this week. I’ve seen him perform a few songs once. Pretty good. Pretty good. Sam Roberts is better than you’d think (given the weird cover art).

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings @ Henry Fonda ($14) – For the funk/soul fans. I got this CD in the mail recently. Very high energy, retro funk/soul music. If you’re into that sorta thing, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

The Deathray Davies / Pink Nasty @ Spaceland ($8) – For the indie rockers. The Deathray Davies are known to pull out the theremin.

Saturday's Pick
Serena Maneesh / Evangelicals / Midnight Movies / Woven Hand @ Troubadour ($12) – Serena Maneesh released one of the best records of the year. If you’re into shoegazer, My Bloody Valentine type rock you should get it and go to this show.
Also on Saturday:
Brian Jonestown Massacre @ Safari Sam’s ($15) - I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. What will it be tonight?

Dublab Party @ Secret Location ($7 adv / $12 dos) – Devendra Banhart, Jimmy Tamborello, Mia Doi Todd, Daedelus, Nobody, etc.

The Morlocks / The Flash Express / Hot 4 Chocolate @ Little Pedro’s ($5) – Some rock’n’roll.

Sunday's Pick
Massive Attack / TV on the Radio @ Hollywood Bowl ($20) - I do really like that new TV on the Radio album. Only the $20 tickets are left. I heard they might be doing a secret show. Anybody else hear that? They’re playing the Glasshouse in Pomona on Tuesday if you want a more intimate setting.
Also on Sunday:
Brian Jonestown Massacre @ Safari Sam’s ($15)

DJ Shadow @ Avalon ($27.50) – I reviewed his album on Tuesday. I’ve never seen him live. He’s also playing Monday night.

Magic Bullets @ the Echo ($5) – From the Echo’s site: “One of PTP's very favorites finally return for their second appearance in anticipation of their forthcoming debut LP. Prepare for a stunning end to summer ala' The Go-Betweens, Felt and the finer moments in the Sarah Records catalogue.

Rademacher / The Pity Party @ Spaceland (Free)

2 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

are you going to Serena Maneesh...I think Im gonna try to get ticks at the box office

Duke said...

i went to a wedding instead (so i missed them for the second time). at least the wedding was a lot of fun...