Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tonight's Music 9/26/06


Tonight's Pick:
The Movies / Great Northern / The Western States Motel @ Boardner’s ($8) – The Radio Free Silver Lake blog is hosting/promoting a night at Boardner’s called Let’s Independent.The Movies are one of the better local bands that the average person doesn’t seem to know about (but other musicians love). Great Northern is another popular local band that just signed with a really cool label (Eenie Meenie). Their first album comes out in 2007. Western States Motel is a new band to me. It seems like a lot of people who hear a lot of music are saying nice things about them.
Download The Movies’ “Rock in the Slingshot” (my friend Stan played this at his wedding last weeknd)
Download Great Northern’s “Home
Download Western States Motel’s “Southwest Planez

Beck / Wounded Cougar @ Element (Sold Out) – After the last couple of disappointing Beck shows, I wasn’t going to see him again. But I have a hard time resisting because I’v seen so many great shows in the past. Hopefully it’s a good one tonight or this time might really be the last. His new album comes out on Tuesday, so it should be lots of new stuff. I’m not sure if the puppets will be there tonight.

Also Playing:
Tom Petty / The Strokes @ Hollywood Bowl ($40-125) – It took me a while to admit I like Tom Petty. But when you see those first four albums in the dollar bin of your record store, pick those up.
Pelican @ Knitting Factory ($14) – The All Music Guide calls them “instrumental art metal.”
Snow Patrol @ Wiltern (Sold Out)
TV On the Radio @ the Glass House in Pomona ($15) – It’s not as far as you think (esp if you live on the east side). I heard they were great at the Hollywood Bowl.

3 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

TV on the Radio was not great at the bowl...that show might've been the most pleasantly boring show I've ever been to..Im getting to them on thursday

Joe Fielder said...

Many thanks! Good to meet you. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk more, man.

Anonymous said...

Not only did I play the Movies' "Rock in the Slingshot," but I believe I saw you stealthily gyrating your hips and head to the rhythm that night.