Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday Night Live Music Options 9/28/07


The Broken West put on a really good show at the Echoplex last night. They peppered a couple of covers in, but mostly played songs off their debut full length, I Can't Go On, I'll Go On. I'm sure I'll have to wait, but I'm really looking forward to them getting in the studio and recording their next album. I was hoping to get there in time to see the Parson Red Heads, but unfortunately I missed their set. I've seen Bodies of Water a few times and they're what would happen if you combined the most obnoxious elements of Polyphonic Spree, Fiery Furnaces and Danielson Famile. They had a big crowd though and tons of bloggers (including Pitchfork) love them. A lot of these commentors on Stereogum rip on how shitty LA bands are and say that BoW are one of the only originals. I guess I'm pretty out of step.

Tivo Alert: Earlimart on the Daily Habit on Fuel
Friday's Pick (9/28/07):

The National / St. Vincent @ the Wiltern ($20) – The National is the type of band I should absolutely love, but I still haven’t gotten into them. I think it’s his voice. Seeing them live would probably help.
Also Appearing:
Low @ Troubadour ($18) – I like Low’s albums, but they seem a little too mellow to see live on a weekend night.

Girl Talk / Dan Deacon @ Echoplex ($17) – There’s a 7:00PM (limited tix at the door) and a 10:00PM show (sold out). I saw Girl Talk the last time he plugged his laptop in at the Echo. You might remember me, I was the party pooper standing against the back wall with my arms crossed.

Imperial Teen @ Spaceland ($12) – Upbeat adult pop on Merge.

Josh Rouse / Jason Collett @ El Rey ($19) – Rouse is a mellow, soft rocker with a touch of Americana. I saw him at a Starbucks at SXSW about seven years ago. Jason Collett’s part of the Broken Social Scene family and plays music that’s similar to Rouse.

The Legendary Shack Shakers @ the Roxy ($12) – Rootsy swamp rock’n’rollers from Nashville.

Thee LA Gentleman Callers / 10’ors @ the Scene ($5)

No comments: