Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wednesday Night Wrap-Up and Thursday Night Preview

Blonde Redhead Play the Wiltern Tonight



Last night I went to that crazy Frederick’s of Hollywood fashion show at the Palladium. We got there about 8:00PM to try to avoid a long line, but they weren’t letting people in yet, so the line was already fairly long. We got to the front of the line and realized we had to walk the red carpet. The red carpet’s fine when you can just push through and avoid eye contact with anyone. Unfortunately I got stuck behind John Cho who played Harold in Harold and Kumar (a very funny film). The photographers were snapping away trying to get his attention and I’m standing there like a doofus just trying to get by him. No dice. Once we got inside the Palladium was completely transformed. Red curtains everywhere. Several free bars set up. A girl in lingerie suspended on a moon from the ceiling and girls in lingerie walking around serving candy. Those situations demand alcohol, so I proceeded to the bar. We stood around and waited for the action to commence. The only familiar faces I saw (other than celebs) were Sea Level Todd, Silversun Nikki and Radar Bro Jim. After a few cocktails, Eagles of Death Metal got started on a side stage. I’ve never listened to their records, but they played about four or five songs (ironic metal with lifted riffs) and it was pretty fun live. As they finished a curtain opened on the other side of the Palladium and the Silversun Pickups started. I hadn’t seen them in six months (and that was at the Silverlake Lounge) so I was pretty amazed at how good they sounded. They’re road tested and they completely filled the space with noise (my ears were still ringing this morning). They seemed to be having a lot of fun. Crooner was bashing the drums like Animal. Aubert leapt off the stage and ran around the front of the stage playing guitar. Their pal from Snow Patrol joined them on guitar for a couple of songs. They only played maybe four songs, but I was very impressed. As soon as they finished, the lingerie show started. There was a celebrity designed corset show followed by the Frederick’s stuff. Pretty entertaining. That was followed by a Dita Von Teese burlesque performance (which I managed to completely miss while waiting for drinks). Right after that was the Foo Fighters. They were loud and kind of the perfect band for that environment. I’ve never been a fan of their albums, but they were alright to see with free booze. They even threw in a cover of Prince’s “Darling Nikki.” All in all a very weird night. I managed to miss pretty every celeb who was in attendance (with the exception of John Cho who seemed to be standing in front of me all night). I would have liked to see Kristen Bell. You can see photos from the night HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE if you’re so inclined. It was an odd, but entertaining night.

Thursday's Pick (10/25/07):

Blonde Redhead / Autolux @ Wiltern ($25) – Blonde Redhead is one of my favorite bands. From the first time I saw them at Spaceland (when the stage was still on the other side), I’ve been smitten. I almost skipped this show tonight, but a friend came through with free tickets, and I can’t turn that down. Local faves, Autolux are apparently putting out their next record early next year. It’s been a long time between records.

Also Appearing:


Sex Pistols @ Roxy (103.1 Winners) – The punk legends do an intimate reunion show before heading over to London. I’d see Johnny Rottten/Lydon anytime.

Two Ton Boa @ Spaceland ($8) – Female fronted, aggressive Kill Rock Stars band that gets compared to Sleater-Kinney.

The Good Life / Jonathan Rice / Art in Manila @ Troubadour (Sold Out) – Saddle Creek extravaganza (too bad Eric Bachmann’s not on the bill too).

The Pipettes / The Adored @ Echoplex ($15) – One of the better 1960’s girl group revivalist bands.

Nico Stai / Air Traffic @ the Echo (Free / $5 for under 21) – Night three in town for Air Traffic.

Gogol Bordello @ Mayan ($25) – Very popular, gypsy punk rock.

Josh Ritter / Eric Bachmann @ El Rey ($17) – I saw singer-songwriter Josh Ritter once at King King. He was pretty good.

1 comment:

swamp attack hack said...

click to enjoy swamp attack hack on the website and get some free stuffs like free lives and coins and latest weapon update.just visit the site to enjoy all the gaming stuffs.