Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Left Banke: "Lazy Day"


This is my weekly reminder to listen to Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd) on Little Radio Thursday morning from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Tomorrow their guests will be Film School who will be playing a show later that night at the Echoplex.

Each week on their show, I get a special one song request. I use my weekly pick as an opportunity to request and then write about a band I wouldn’t normally have a reason to write about (at least not in the context of an LA-centric music blog). My pick on the October 11th show was the Left Banke’s “Lazy Day.” The Left Banke gets credited as being one of the pioneers of baroque rock (basically rock ‘n’ roll with classical string arrangements). Their primary songwriter, Michael Browne was only 16 when he wrote the band’s biggest hit, “Walk Away Renee” in 1966. Sadly, the Left Banke released only one album with both Browne and singer Steve Martin on board. “Lazy Day” is one of the more upbeat tracks from that record.

I’d heard the Left Banke before, but the first time I really became aware of them was the late 1990s. I’d become pretty obsessed with Elliott Smith’s music after seeing him at No Life records in May of 1997. A cover of the Left Banke’s “Walk Away Renee” became a staple of Smith’s live shows in the late 90s. Like a lot of music nerds, I tend to carry around a list of albums that I’m looking for in my wallet. Cut to 2002. I’d recently moved back to LA from Austin and Amoeba had opened its doors. I was finally able to cross the Left Banke compilation, There’s Gonna Be a Storm – The Complete Recordings 1966-1969 off that worn list (and for under $8). Unfortunately the Left Banke’s material is hard to track down. If you see a copy of that CD for a reasonable price, you should pick it up (they go for about $50 on Ebay). Sometimes you can also find ‘80s compilations on vinyl for a reasonable price. Browne went on to work with Montage (worth picking up the reissue if you see it) and Stories (I haven’t been as impressed with their stuff).


Stream some songs on the Left Banke’s Myspace page
Watch “Walk Away Renee” on Youtube (they look so young)
Go to Sweet Adeline and download Elliott Smith’s cover of “Walk Away Renee”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it would help to write Sundazed or others to get reissues of their CD.

Duke said...

yeah, somebody needs to seriously consider reissuing that stuff. Rhino, Sundazed, Rev-Ola? i'm not sure who owns the rights.

Anonymous said...

seriously.. There's Gonna Be A Storm was such an excellent package, I was astounded to find it went out of print. Would be great to see another release. Maybe one that preserves the albums. Any label but Fallout!

Here's a little about Brown's next project, Montage.

Charlemange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlemange said...

You might want to check out my Left Banke machinima videos at leftbanke.nu

I also made a Doctor Who video where the Left Banke perform Lazy Day. It's called Alternative Exile 1966 and can be seen at charlemange.net