Tuesday, February 28, 2006

New Releases 2/28/06


It's a light week. Here are some noteworthy albums coming out this week.

Recommended
None at this time

Things I Need To Hear
Rhett Miller The Believer (Verve) - Some Old 97's songs are great. I didn't think his last solo album was very inspired so I'll wait to hear some reviews from people I trust before picking this up. Appearing Thursday at Tower Sunset at 8:00PM for free and 3/29/06 at the Fonda.

Other Noteworthy Releases
Jessi Colter Out of the Ashes (Shout! Factory) - The late Waylon Jennings' wife and Shooter Jennings' mother. I'm a big fan of classic country, but I'll probably pass on this.

Elvis Costello and Metropole Orkest My Flame Turns Blue (Deutsche Grammophon) - Two disc collection from a July, 2005 concert at the Netherlands' North Sea Jazz Festival. It includes classic Costello songs, jazz covers and previously unreleased compositions.

Nine Black Alps Everything Is (Interscope) - Manchester band who played Spaceland last year when their album was import only. They sound a little post-grunge.

Ranaldo/Giffoni/Moore/Cline Four Guitars Live (Important) - Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore and Wilco's Nels Cline live in 2001. I can't imagine actually listening to this but maybe you're more adventurous than I am.
Download "Live at Luxx"

Tresspassers William Having (produced by Dave Fridmann) (Nettwerk) - A female lead singer who sounds a little like Aimee Mann with atmospheric melancholy music. For the KCRW/KEXP crowd.

Hank Williams III Straight to Hell (Curb) - Thankfully he's still more like his grandfather than his dad.

No comments: