Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sinking with Sylvia's (Little Radio) Top 10 List

Sylvia in the Little Radio Studios with Aaron Espinoza (Earlimart)


The guest lists continue. Today's guest list comes from Sylvia from Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd). Be sure to tune in to Little Radio today from 11:00AM to 1:00 PM as they play the best of 2007.

Top 10:

1. Dr. Dog: We All Belong (Park The Van) - This record is so good that I have nothing else to say.
Download "Worst Trip"

2. David Vandervelde: The Moonstation House Band (Secretly Canadian) - This is an awesome record and he is amazing live and he is about 21 yrs. old. Rad.

3. Besnard Lakes: The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse (Jagjaguwar) - I don't have much of a super mellow side but this record definitely appeals to it.

4. Okkervil River: The Stage Names (Jagjaguwar) - This record has about 5 of the best songs released this year.

5. Blonde Redhead: 23 (4AD) - I have a loyalty to this band which helps but I also really love this record..

6. Sloan: Never Hear The End Of It (Yep Roc) - I think this record is witty. Having said that if you are not already into Sloan it was probably way lost on you.

7. The Broken West: I Can't Go, I'll Go On (Merge) - The truth is I probably listened to this record more than any other this year. The only reason it did not make it higher on the list is because I don't think the production is up to par with the band.(sorry) Having said all that, I honestly think they are the best band in LA.

8. Dungen: Tio Bitar (Kemado) - Love this band, love this record.

9. Earlimart: Mentor Tormentor: (Shout Factory/Major Domo) - Aaron and Arianna just keep getting better and better. "Answers & Questions" is the best song released this year and my idea of the perfect single.

10. Explosions In The Sky: All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone (Temporary Residence) - Not only is this the perfect record to just chill around the house with, their show at the El Rey was the best show I went to in all of 2007.

Honorable Mentions - Wilco: Sky Blue Sky, The Black Lips: Good Not Evil, Prefuse 73: Preparations, The Shins: Wincing The Night Away and Ulrich Schnauss: Goodbye

Top 5 Local Releases of 2007:

The Minor Canon: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished (Tenderness Records)

The Deadly Syndrome: The Ortolan (Dim Mak)

The Moon Upstairs: Guarding The Golden Apple (Gifted Children Records)

Le Switch: Hello Today (self released)

Film School: Hideout (Beggars Banquet)

Local Bands to look out for in 2008 include:

Everest (Dear Everest, If your full length is anywhere near as good as your ep I promise you will be at the top of my 2008 list next year. good luck.

Le Switch (Dear Le Switch, the same goes for you. Perhaps you guys should set up a tour together.)

The Moon Upstairs (Dear Moon Upstairs, I promise you that all the hipsters will jump on your bandwagon.)

Henry Clay People (Dear HCP, if I have to hear one more hipster, blogger or music nerd talk about you guys another minute I might vomit. Man you guys are blowin' up.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That list is awesome.

Malcolm Sosa said...

Henry Clay People Henry Clay People Henry Clay People. That's right.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Jerk Much?

Anonymous said...

call a doctor