Friday, December 02, 2005

Weekend Live Music Picks


I apologize for the slow week of posting. It's been really chaotic. Here are some picks for the weekend. That's the Earlies in the picture on the left.

Friday
The Earlies / The Idaho Falls / Great Northern @ the Echo [$10] - For the indie rock fan who likes spacey, psychedelic stuff. I've written about the Earlies before. Half of their album is really inspired and interesting and the other half is just ok. They haven't toured much so tonight is the night to see them. This is my choice for the night.
Download The Idaho Falls' "California Day"

The 88 @ Troubadour [$12] - For the pop fan. I've written about them a bunch too and I've even reviewed their record. They seem to play around a lot, but it's always good to put some money in their pockets.

Saturday
The Wrens @ Troubadour [$13] - For the maudlin, indie rock fan. I really like about five songs on their 2003 album MEADOWLANDS. I hope they're working on a new album. This is just a mini West coast tour. This is my choice for the night.
Download "Everyone Chooses Sides"

Ariel Pink / Tsar / The Adored @ Spaceland [$10] - For supporters of local music. This is a weird lineup with very different types of bands. The LA Weekly put this together. Tsar is a glammy punk-pop band. Ariel Pink is a freaky hippie with experimental tendencies (on the Animal Collective label). The Adored has more of a Buzzcocks vibe. The track below even has Pete Shelley on guest vocals.
Download the Adored's "TV Riot"
Download Ariel Pink's "The Doldrums"

Nebula @ Knitting Factory [$10/$12 DOS] - For the stoner rock fan. Heavy music with big guitar riffs.
Download Nebula's "Atomic Ritual"

Sunday
Calvin Johnson @ the Smell [$5] - For the indie rock fan who tolerates bad singing. I just can't get over his voice (about the most I can take is his contribution on Beck's ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE album). His label (K Records) has released some great stuff by other bands.

No comments: