Friday, December 09, 2005

Weekend Live Music Picks


I didn't make it out last night - just caught up on some reading so I could wake up early. That's the Honey Brothers (playing Sunday at Spaceland) on the left.

Friday
Mellowdrone / The Lashes / The Divorce @ Spaceland - For the rock'n'roll fans. Mellowdrone is a local band that has a classic Radiohead/Muse type of sound. The Lashes are a bratty rock band with haircuts and clothes. The Divorce are also from Seattle but a little more emo/anthemic.
Download Mellowdrone's "Fashionably Uninvited"
Download the Lashes' "Death By Mixtape"

Merle Jagger @ The Mint - For country fans. It's the Sin City night at the Mint. Merle Jagger is an upbeat instrumental country band. If you're mainly interested in Merle Jagger I recommend you see them on Saturday at Sea Level Records for free.

The Good Listeners / Jesca Hoop @ El Cid [$10] - For the public radio crowd. Tom Waits has apparently said some nice things about Jesca Hoop. The Good Listeners are mellow and sound decent (maybe a little like the Eels?). You can sample both on their web sites (but they don't offer any MP3s). The Good Listeners will also be at Spaceland on Sunday.

Saturday
Merle Jagger @ Sea Level Records 3:00 PM [FREE] - See above. It's free. Buy some Christmas presents while you're there.

!!! (Chk Chk Chk) @ the El Rey [$19] - For the dance-punk fans. They have grooves that get indie kids dancing.
Download a sample of !!!'s "Take Ecstacy with Me"
Download a sample of !!!'s "Hello? Is This Thing On?"

Sunday
The Good Listeners / The Honey Brothers @ Spaceland [$10] - For the indie rock fans. See comments above for the Good Listeners. New York City's The Honey Brothers have a good sense of humor, a ukelele or two and some catchy songs.

Mark Gardener (of Ride) / Goldrush @ Knitting Factory [$12] - For the Brit pop fans.

The Brokedown @ Tangier [$8] - For the indie pop fans.
Download the Brokedown's "Down in the Valley"

Alan McGee (DJ set) @ the Echo [FREE] For the brit pop fans who aren't at Mark Gardener. Alan McGee founded Creation Records (Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Felt, My Bloody
Valentine, Ride, Teenage Fanclub, Oasis, Super Furry Animals).

Depeche Mode / The White Stripes / Death Cab For Cutie / Coldplay / Hot Hot Heat / Nada Surf / The Bravery / Jack Johnson @ Gibson Amphitheatre [SOLD OUT] - For the KROQ people. I had front row tickets for Depeche Mode in Bonner Springs, KS in about 1992. They were great, but that was about 14 years ago. I've seen the White Stripes a bunch of times at the Troubadour, at Emo's, at the Greek. Each time it's less and less interesting. I've seen DCFC a ton of times at Emo's and smaller places I don't remember anymore and I'm not even a big fan. I've seen Coldplay at the El Rey and Coachella and I'm not even a fan. I've seen Hot Hot Heat at La Zona Rosa and I'm not really a fan at all. I've seen the Bravery at Spaceland and I walked out after two songs. Jack Johnson just makes me feel icky. Why's he even part of this lineup?

No comments: