Tuesday, April 04, 2006

New Release Tuesday 4/4/06


Recommended
Flaming Lips At War with the Mystics (Warner Bros.) – It's not getting great reviews but I like the four songs I’ve heard. As much as I loved Bulletin and Yoshimi I'm glad they went in a different direction. Since I'm a fan of their last six albums, of course I’m buying it (and so should you). Appearing live at the Hollywood Bowl on July 23rd. There's also a new biography out today by Jim DeRogatis.

Voxtrot Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives EP – This is one of my favorite new bands. I love the first EP and I hear this one is even better. Appearing live at the Wiltern on 5/26.
Download “Mothers, Sisters, Daugthers & Wives

Things I Need to Hear
Morrissey Ringleader of the Tormentors (Sanctuary) – I bet Morrissey smells really good. Can anybody confirm that? Produced by Tony Visconti with string arrangements by Ennio Morricone. I thought his last album was disappointing so I don’t have high hopes for this one. Apparently he lives in Rome and is no longer celibate. The lyrics on the new album allude to sex and real relationships.

Other Noteworthy Releases
The Concretes In Color (Astralwerks) – They’re a Swedish pop band but I don’t know anything else about them. Pitchfork liked their last record, but not this one. Appearing live at the Troubadour on 5/23.

Carl Cox Second Sign (Koch) – House music producer with guests Fatboy Slim, Roni Size, Josh Wink and more. I’m really not the right guy to judge this sort of thing.

Daft Punk Musique 1: 1993-2005 (Virgin) – Greatest hits collection from one of the most respected electronica groups.

Irving Death in the Garden, Blood on the Flowers (Eenie Meenie) – Recommended for traditional indie pop fans. This is the second release from the local band. I’ve listened to this one a few times now. Some of it sounds like Elephant 6 bands, some of it sounds like new dance rock bands and some of it sounds more influenced by early 1980s bands like the Cure. Appearing live at Spaceland on 5/7.
Download “Situation

Islands Return to the Sea (Equator) – Recommended for fans of quirky indie pop. I wasn’t a big Unicorns fan, but this one sounds a little better. Appearing live at the El Rey on 5/5.

Shooter Jennings Electric Rodeo (Universal) – He’s the son of Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter. He plays country-rock but what I’ve heard is cheesy so I can't recommend it to anyone.

Jetpack UK The Art of Building a Moat EP (Heatstroke Records) – Recommended for power pop fans. The recent EP from this Nashville band finally gets national distribution. I'm a fan and think the track below is damn catchy.
Download “Mathematics

Magneta Lane Dancing With Daggers (Paper Bag) – A Canadian female group that I know almost nothing about.

Massive Attack Collected (Virgin) - Probably cool if you don't have the studio albums. Two CDs featuring album tracks, rarities and new songs. The second disc is DualDisc and contains all the band's videos. Appearing live at Coachella on 4/30.

Mellowdrone Box (Red Ink) - I'm not a fan, but maybe you are? They're appearing live at Tower Sunset today at 6:30PM. The first 200 customers can buy the CD for $1.03.
Download "Fashionably Uninvited"

Pink I'm Not Dead (guests the Indigo Girls) (LaFace/Zomba) – She’s not?

Queensryche Operation: Mindcrime II (Rhino) - Has it already been 18 years since Operation: Mindcrime came out? Here's the sequel you've been waiting for (or not).

Rainer Maria Catastrophe Keeps Us Together (Grunion) – A female fronted band originally from Madison, WI and now from Brooklyn. Appearing live at the Troubadour on 5/3.

South Adventures in the Underground Journey to the Stars (Young American) – Appearing live at the Troubadour on 4/25. The Allmusic Guide compares the new record to Badly Drawn Boy and Doves. I haven’t heard it.

Mia Doi Todd Ninja: Amor & Other Dreams of Manzanita (Rmxs) (Plug Research) - Most people either think her voice is beautiful or they want to jam metal rods into their eardrums when they hear her music. Dntel, Dungen and Nobody handle the remixing duties here.

The Vines Vision Valley (Capitol) – I haven't heard it, but can't recommend it to anyone. Just listen to your old Nirvana records. He suffers from Asperberger’s syndrome. He probably shouldn’t have smoked all that weed.

5 comments:

Spider Monkey Jones said...

Hey the ghostface record is great, you SHOULD here it. Its the only album this year that has songs about cookin crack, beatin children, and Spongebob's taste in cars.

Passion of the Weiss said...

It's true a great album if there ever was....I mean it really does have it all.

Duke said...

$1.03 for the mellowdrone CD is still about $1.03 too much.

Anonymous said...

I am listening to that new Morrisey right this moment, it sounds like Morrisey.

Anonymous said...

Dude, don't you dare diss the Queensryche! They are beautiful, beautiful people who've made beautiful, beautiful music.

I was fortunate to see them live (with fellow rock-metal-prog comrades Dream Theater) at the Universal Amphitheater and that, my friend, is a memory that you will never take away from me.