Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Everly Brothers' "I Wonder If I Care As Much"


This is a quick reminder to tune in to Little Radio today from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM to hear Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd). I don’t think they’ve got a guest or theme today, but it’s the first show with both of them in over a month, and they’ll be giving away some concert tickets.

Each week on their show, I pick one song and then write about it here. I’m way behind in writing about my selections. On November 8th my song pick was the Everly Brothers’ “I Wonder If I Care As Much” from their excellent country-rock album, Roots. As far as early rock ‘n’ roll bands go, the Everly Brothers are one of my favorites. I’ve got a lot of great early memories of driving around with my parents and seeing my dad snap his fingers and sing along to “Wake Up Little Susie.” Today when critics want an example of great harmonies, they usually say “Beach Boys harmonies.” But the way Don and Phil blended their voices was a huge influence on the Beach Boys, Beatles, Neil Young, Simon and Garfunkel and the Bee Gees.

Country music always played a big part in the Everlys music. They released a roots/cover album, Songs Our Daddy Taught Us, at the height of their popularity. The version of “I Wonder If I Care As Much” that I selected was from their 1968 album, Roots. The song was an Everly Brothers original that was a big hit for them in the late 1950s. I love the new arrangement they did for the Roots album. The guitar’s great and the vocal arrangement is fantastic. According to Wikipedia, “from a music fan’s standpoint, [the Roots album] was not special.” I disagree. It came out around the time of the Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Dylan’s country phase and holds up well. They cover two of Merle Haggard’s best songs, some Jimmie Rodgers and a Glen Campbell and a Randy Newman song. The CD reissue is readily available and it’s well worth picking up for country-rock fans.

The Everly Brothers fan club site
See them perform Haggard’s “Mama Tried” on Youtube.
See a photo essay set to the earlier version of “I Wonder If I Care as Much
See a live version of “I Wonder If I Care as Much” more in line with the Roots arrangement

No comments: