Friday, August 08, 2008

The Wipers "Taking Too Long"


No time to write much, but this is my weekly reminder to listen to Sinking with Sylvia and Todd (and Sometimes Matt Dwyer) on Little Radio. The show airs Friday from Noon to 2:00 PM.

Each week on the show they feature an official You Set the Scene pick. Tomorrow my pick is "Taking Too Long" by the Wipers. I'm not the world's biggest authority on the Wipers or Greg Sage, so I'll point you towards Wikipedia if you want to know (a little) more. What I do know is that they were big influences on Kurt Cobain, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., the Melvins, etc. I dug out my Wipers stuff recently after seeing a bunch of kids around town with Wipers shirts on. It holds up really well.

I first got interested in the Wipers during college back in the mid-1990s. I picked up a fantastic record (Helium Octopede) by a Lawrence, KS band called Zoom and heard that a musician named Greg Sage recorded/produced it. I was intrigued, and picked up some Wipers.

Tune in tomorrow to hear. If you like what you hear, hit up their website. You'll be buying direct and they've got some great deals on stuff..

No comments: