Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sinking Radio: The Moondoggies - Ain't No Lord


This is my weekly reminder to tune in to Sinking Radio this Friday on Little Radio from Noon to 2:00 PM. Sylvia, Todd and Matt's guest this week will be comedian Horatio Sanz. You probably remember Horatio from such shows as Saturday Night Live and one of my favorite comedies in the past couple of years, Step Brothers.

Each week on the show, they feature an official You Set the Scene pick. Most of the time, I pick a classic older song, or just something weird that means something to me. My pick for this week's show is neither. It's by a relatively new band out of Seattle called The Moondoggies. These guys recently put out their debut record on Sub Pop offshoot, Hardly Art and I've just begun to digest it.

They switch it up between strummy, acoustic songs to Southern boogie, ass shaking, Rhodes-driven tunes. They don't seem to have gotten much press outside of Seattle yet, but there's some really promising tracks for a young band. I like that they list Townes Van Zandt, Leon Russell and International Submarine Band as influences. If you're inclined to that sort of thing, check them out. No local dates scheduled at this time.

And tune in to Little Radio tomorrow to hear it.

MP3: Changing

No comments: