Friday, January 16, 2009

New Music Releases: 1/13/09


Very slow week. Things pick up next week....

Noteworthy new releases:
City and Colour
Ravi Coltrane
Late of the Pier
Franz Nicolay – Hold Steady’s keyboardist
Notorious soundtrack – some big hits and some early demos from Notorious B.I.G.
Rokia Traore
The Derek Trucks Band

Reissues:
Bee Gees: Odessa (Rhino) – This is a three disc box set featuring the mono mixes and alternate mixes and demos. If you still only know the Bee Gees from their disco days, do yourself a favor and pick this one up. I’m sure the extra discs are completely unnecessary, but the record’s good enough to warrant the price. The record jumps genres and has some great lyrics (“It makes me laugh, you’ve got no friends” is probably my favorite). This is my favorite Bee Gees record.

Arthur Lee: Arthur Lee (Friday Music) – I’m a huge Love fan and I don’t own this (but I have the better songs). For completists.

Love: Love Live – Whisky a Go-Go 1978 (Friday Music) – I’ve got this one on vinyl. Again – it’s for completists only.

M83: Before Dawn Heals Us (Mute) – vinyl issue

M83: Digital Shades Vol. 1 (Mute) – vinyl and CD issue

M83: Saturdays = Youth (Mute) – vinyl issue

No comments: