Tuesday, June 20, 2006

New Release Tuesday

No time to do my regular weekly release slate but there are a few things worth checking out. Here's the most interesting stuff.....

Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel (DVD) - I wrote a review of this documentary last week. It's really, really, really good. My girlfriend and I stayed at the Joshua Tree Inn last weekend and saw Cap Rock. Watch the documentary and you'll know the significance of those places.....

Gram Parsons The Complete Reprise Sessions (3 CD Box Set) - If you dont' have the two Gram Parsons' solo records then definetely buy this. I haven't figured out if it's worth getting if you already own those two albums? Anybody know? The third disc looks like alt versions while the other two discs mainly just add interviews.

Luna The Best of Luna - Luna's one of my favorite bands of the 90s. If you don't own any Luna and you like dreamy indie-pop then definitely pick this up.

Luna Tell Me Do You Miss Me (DVD) -This DVD chronicles the final tour of a great band. I haven't seen it yet, but defintely wanna pick it up.

Old 97's The Best of the Old 97's - This is worth picking up if you like indie rock with a slight country twang. I'm kinda of a greatest hits guy with this band anyway.

Brightblack Morning Light Brightback Morning Light - I'll at least pay attention to any band that Matador releases (Sub Pop's about the only other label I respect that much these days). Download "Everybody Daylight" Appearing live at the Troubadour on 7/28.

Frank Black Fastman/Raiderman - Haven't bought a Frank Black solo record for a really long time but I still respect him. Appearing at the Pantages on 8/29. Pitchfork reviewed this today.

Keane Under the Iron Sea - Do you like Coldplay, but think they're just a little too edgy? Then Keane's your band. Appearing live at the Fonda on 6/21.

Blackpool Lights This Town's Disaster - Do you miss the Get-Up Kids? This is the lead singer/guitarist's new band. Appearing at Spaceland on 8/4.

The Submarines Declare a New State - This band's not bad at all. If you like the Stars I think you'll dig it. Light electro sounds with boy/girl harmonies. Appearing at the Echo on 7/7.

Stuart Staples Leaving Songs/Lucky Dog Recordings - Did you like the Tindersticks?

Guster Ganging Up on the Sun - Got this one in the mail recently but I haven't listened to it yet....

6 comments:

Duke said...

i would imagine so....

Anonymous said...

Somebody started their new job!! ;)

Passion of the Weiss said...

Are you trying to say Keane isn't edgy. Because they'll kick both Snow Patrol and StarSailor's ass anyday. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read the album lyrics to a Coldplay album. Chris Martin sooths the beasts in my soul.

Oh...and i've heard good things about that Guster album...let me know how it is

Anonymous said...

There is nobody to blame for this but Radiohead. Coldplay, Starsailor, Keane... blame Radiohead.

Anonymous said...

be nice johnny. duke likes radiohead!

Duke said...

i like OK Computer and The Bends and seeing them live will make you a believer.