Thursday, June 01, 2006

Weekend Live Music Options



Kool Keith plays the Knitting Factory on Sunday

Friday 6/2/06
Mike Stinson / Flash Express / Stax of Women @ El Cid ($7) – As regular readers know, Mike Stinson’s my favorite local country-rocker. He’s a big Gram Parsons fan and it shows in his music. His guitarist, Tony Gilkyson (X, Lone Justice) is so much fun to watch. He plays effortlessly. If you like Jon Spencer, then check out Flash Express. Stax of Women is a talented cover band (Josh Schwartz, Jason Moore, etc.) that keeps changing their name.

Infinity @ Spaceland ($10) – They’re a female-fronted Journey tribute band and they’re supposed to be incredibly entertaining. Click on the link to their Myspace page and check out the set list. Who doesn’t like Journey?

Hank Williams III / The Murder Junkies @ the Roxy (Sold Out) – I’ve always respected him, but I’m just now getting around to listening to his new record. He’s reverential to good country like his Grandpa, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash and the Louvin Brothers. Fear not if you didn’t get tickets, he’s also appearing at the Fonda on 6/6/06 (with Glen Danzig?). The Murder Junkies were GG Allin’s last touring band. If you don’t know anything about GG, check out Todd Phillips’ (Old School, Road Trip) frightening documentary, Hated. We showed that in college and it almost resulted in a riot. The band Cocknoose got on stage and pissed on the movie screen and then somebody pulled the fire alarm in the student union and the fire department showed up. I almost got asked to resign from my volunteer job (which was bringing movies to campus). The administrators tried to get me to sign some document taking blame for it all and I didn’t even pick the movie. It was my friend Shannon. Good times.

Howlin Rain / CB Brand @ the Echo ($8 adv / $10 dos) – Do you like the Greatful Dead? So does Howlin Rain. The band features Ethan Miller of Comets on Fire and John Moloney of Sunburned Hand of the Man. The influential record store Other Music absolutely loves it. Download “Roll on the Rusted Days

People Under the Stairs @ Troubadour ($15) – Local underground hip-hop. You can listen to a bunch of their live sets on their website.

Saturday 6/3/06
The Boy Least Likely To @ the Roxy ($12) – Yes these Brits are a little fey, but they’re also incredibly entertaining. I saw them recently at Spaceland and they exceeded all expectations - way better than you’d think. It was one of the better times I’ve had at a show this year. They’re playful pop, but tour with a full live band. Don’t believe me? Pitchfork gave their debut album an 8.5/10. Follow this link and watch the VIDEO. Download “Rock Upon a Porch With You” They’re also appearing at Fingerprints Records in Long Beach at 2:00 PM.

Danielson @ Spaceland ($10) – Speaking of Pitchfork, the founder of Pitchfork recently gave the Danielson album a 9.1/10. The music’s interesting, but a little too manic for me. I still think they’re way better than Fiery Furnaces. They’re part of the indie Christian community along with Sufjan Stevens. Download “Daughters Will Tune You

Pretty Girls Make Graves / Giant Drag @ the El Rey ($16) – I still haven’t seen Giant Drag.

Arctic Monkeys / We Are Scientists @ the Wiltern (Sold Out) – I had a pretty good time when I saw Arctic Monkeys at Spaceland in January. They’re not bad. At the time I may have said that they’re like what would happen if four guys from your high school soccer band listened to the Clash’s first album and then started a band. I still wasn’t compelled to purchase the record. I don’t get the critics who cite the brilliance of the lyrics.

Ice Cube @ House of Blues (Sold Out) – “The Nigga Ya Love to Hate” says “Get Off My Dick and Tell Yo Bitch to Come Here”

Liars @ the Troubadour ($12) – And Pitchfork gave their recent record a 9.0/10. The All Music Guide says they play a noise-rock/prog rock fusion.

Sunday 6/4/06
Let’s Go Sailing / Birdmonster / Run Run Run @ Little Radio (Free) 1:00PM-7:00PM – Who can turn down a free barbeque with cheap liquor? Let’s Go Sailing’s show at the Troubadour was my pick on Tuesday, but unfortunately I didn’t make it down. That kid at You Ain’t No Picasso has written about them before (if that means anything to you). The Rock Insider (another local LA blog) wrote a really enthusiastic blog about them this week and she frequently praises Birdmonster too.
Let’s Go Sailing’s “All I Want
Birdmonster’s “Resurrection Song

Kool Keith / Tash (Alkaholiks) @ the Knitting Factory ($12 adv / $15 dos) – You know him from Ultramagnetic MCs, Dr. Octagon, Dr. Dooom, Black Elvis, Analog Brothers, etc. Kool Keith is probably apeshit bananas but I still like him. He’s one of the funniest guys in rap. My favorite record is Sex Style. By the way, there’s another Dr. Octagon album coming out on July 27th.

DJ Alan McGee @ the Echo (Free) – The Part Time Punks bring back Creation Records magnate, Alan McGee to DJ.

1 comment:

Passion of the Weiss said...

Completely agreed about the thoughts on Boy Least and Danielson. I don't think Danielson is so so abrasive but it hasn't grown on me yet, but it still has a shot. Though I am certain it's not of the Animal Collective, Furnaces, Liars, breed where I start screaming that making noise is not the same thing as genius. some songs are pretty good. By the way, finally got the new Secret Machines and I agree with you. The album isn't as good as the last one but it's not as bad as the crtics made it out to be.

Seeing Giant Drag and Pretty Girls make Graves Tonight. Hopefully it will be good.