Wednesday, December 13, 2006

New Release Tuesday 12/12/06

I wasn't going to bother with this until I realized there were a couple of worthwhile releases.

Ghostface Killah: More Fish (Def Jam) - He already released Fishscale, my favorite hip hop record of the year. This one is more than just b-sides and rarities. Jeff Weiss, who listens to a lot more hip-hop than I do, just put this at #2 on his 10 best hip-hop records of the year - right after Fishscale.

Lovely Feathers: My Best Friend Daniel (Equator) – Reissue of their demos. I'd probably start with their Hind Hind Legs record instead. It's pretty good if you like eccentric indie pop.

Sonic Youth: The Destroyed Room – B-Sides and Rarities (Geffen) - This year's Rather Ripped was their best album in a very long time. From their web site: "...songs from throughout the band's career with Geffen Records, focusing on tracks previously available only on vinyl, limited-release compilations, or as b-sides to international singles. The tracks were hand picked by the band and also include material that has never before been released."

Taylor Hicks: S/T (Arista) - The perfect record for your office party gift exchange? Looks like he wrote two of the songs. The All Music Guide acknowledges his talent, compares him to the Doobie Brothers and says it's yacht rock for the new millennium.

Young Jeezy: The Inspiration (Def Jam) - Timbaland, Ludacris, T.I. and Three 6 Mafia make appearances. The New York Times didn't like it, but Pitchfork did. I haven't heard it.

No comments: