Friday, February 04, 2011

New Music Releases: February 1st, 2011

This Charles Bradley actually came out last week, but serving it up this week...

Pick of the Week:
Charles Bradley: No Time For Dreaming (Dunham/Daptone)  - It’s not every day that you can recommend a debut album from a 62 year old dude. Bradley’s voice is worn in and rough around the edges in the best possible way. I first heard this on the Brooklyn Vegan’s Sirius Radio show back on January 19th and I immediately Shazam’ed it, assuming it was a classic soul reissue. Bradley’s bio is inspiring, proving that it’s never too late to give up on your dreams. Highly recommended.   
Also Recommended:
Fela Kuti: Vinyl Box Set #1 (Knitting Factory) – If you’re an Afrobeat fan, then Fela’s the man. The box includes the albums: Fear Not For Man, Sorrow Tears and Blood, Beasts Of No Nation, Expensive Shit,Everything Scatter, and Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense. These albums’ original release dates range from 1975 to 1989, so the choices are a little bit random (?uestlove from the Roots curated it). At $100, this is pretty pricey, but I’ve been looking for these records for a while, and I’ve only found two of these.
Other releases that caught my eye (but I haven’t fully digested):
Dirtbombs: Party Store (In the Red) – The veteran Detroit garage rock band releases an album of Detroit techno covers from the 80s and 90s. I’m not familiar with most of the source material, but it’s still a compelling listen.
The Go! Team: Rolling Blackouts (Memphis Industries) – Always a high energy and fun band. At the Echoplex on 4/19/11.
Men: Talk About Body (Iamsound)  - I didn’t get through much of this, but fans of Le Tigre should give it a listen. At the Echoplex on 3/26/11
Various Artists: Pakistan – Folk & Pop Instrumentals 1966 – 1976 (Sublime Frequencies) – Well curated compilation.

1 comment:

independence day messages said...

I really like this post. Really informative for me. Thanks for sharing this.