Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Album Review: Big Star IN SPACE


Alex Chilton, if you're reading this review please stop. Have you stopped reading yet? Ok good. I'm a huge fan of Big Star's three albums, they're all essential listening. I don't own any Alex Chilton solo records because I've always assumed that I'd be disappointed. I was very apprehensive about this record, but since he broke the Big Star name out of retirement I decided to have a listen. The fact that this not really Big Star becomes obvious very quickly.

Dony: not bad, but I could do without the horn solo
Lady Sweet: pretty Posies' song, but not a Big Star song (Chilton's not even singing)
Best Chance We've Ever Had: a pleasant Jody song that Chilton doesn't sing
Turn My Back on the Sun: Beach Boys' tribute that starts with a Wouldn't It Be Nice fakeout, another Posies' song
Love Revolution: I don't care if it does sound like Chilton's having fun, I'm going to pretend I never heard this
February's Quiet: another pleasant enough Jody song "she likes sugar in her tea"
Mine Exclusively: R&B cover tune that doesn't do much for me
A Whole New Thing: another R&B tune that doesn't do anything for me
Aria Largo: throwaway instrumental
Hung Up With Summer: kinda boring
Do You Wanna Make It: real simple early rock'n'roll with that horn again
Makeover: this song's a mess

Save your money and listen to the real Big Star albums.

BUY #1 RECORD/RADIO CITY
BUY THIRD/SISTER LOVERS

No comments: