Monday, October 24, 2005

Album Review: Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures


I've been digesting an advance of the new Rogue Wave album, Descended Like Vultures for a few weeks now. Let me begin by saying that I'm a much bigger Rogue Wave fan than anybody I know. I really enjoyed their first album, Out of the Shadow (my favorite song was "Every Moment"). The lead singer's voice is a little precious at times, but I'm a sucker for that. The new album is the same kind of indie-pop.

It's a very solid album all the way through (two outstanding tracks, seven very good tracks and two good tracks). Highlights are tracks: "10:1," "Love's Lost Guarantee," "Publish My Love," "Bird On a Wire," and "Catform." The last two tracks get a little too slow and weighed down, which tends to make me forget how much I like the beginning of the record. If you're a fan of Lou Barlow/Sebadoh, Built to Spill, the Shins, etc. I recommend buying this.

Download 10:1 [this is a great song, but not the most representative song - it's more upbeat than the rest of the record]

Download Publish My Love [very representative track]

Unfortunately they don't have any local dates scheduled. What's up with having a Visalia date planned, but not a Los Angeles date?

No comments: