Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Iron and Wine/Calexico


I've had IN THE REINS, the Iron & Wine/Calexico collaboration for a few months now but haven't really given it a proper listen. I'm a big Iron & Wine fan but I've always found Calexico's music a little boring. In the days leading up to their live show (tonight at the Wiltern) I've given the EP another chance. Here's what I think:

He Lays in the Reins - I could really do without that Spanish opera interlude
Prison on Route 41 - nice pedal steel, but the song doesn't really grab me
A History of Lovers - this is my favorite song on the EP, combines the best of both bands
Red Dust - the worst song on the EP, bluesy and cliche
Sixteen, Maybe Less - my other favorite song on the EP, very pretty song
Burn That Broken Bed - Calexico ruins an otherwise good song with some jazzy horns
Dead Man's Will - another strong song worth hearing

I hear the format of tonight's show is for each band to do a full set and then play the EP together in its entirety. I still can't believe that tickets are $23.50 + ticketmaster fees and I still can't believe it's being held in a 2,200 seat venue. I hope Calexico is more compelling live than they are in the studio.

See them tonight at the Wiltern
Buy IN THE REINS

No comments: