Thursday, November 03, 2005

Top 10 Albums of the 1990s

Here's the top 10 albums of the 1990s in reverse order....

10) My Bloody Valentine LOVELESS - This may be the #1 album for making out of all time. The lyrics don't get distracting, the music is lush. It all melts together so I'm not going to pick a track. You should also own ISN'T ANYTHING (it may even be a little better - but it came out in the 80s).

9) Spiritualized LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE - Total gospel drug album. One of the best tracks is "Electricity." You should also pick up PURE PHASE and LASER GUIDED MELODIES.

8) Wilco SUMMERTEETH - Early Wilco stuff set off my bullshit detector (like a lot of alt-country). It sounded like a guy singing with an affected southern twang. But my old roommate forced this down my throat and made me forget about AM. This is the only Wilco I like all the way through. My favorite track is "I'm Always in Love." You should probably also pick up BEING THERE and YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT has its moments.

7) Belle and Sebastian IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER - So wimpy but so good. This album has the best Stuart Murdoch songs, so it's my favorite. The best song is "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying." Other albums to own: TIGERMILK, PUSH BARMAN TO OPEN OLD WOUNDS, THE BOY WITH THE ARAB STRAP and DEAR CATASTROPHE WAITRESS (in that order).

6) Elliott Smith EITHER/OR - He was really the first singer/songwriter I ever got into. I went to a little record store in LA called No Life records (early 1997?) to see Pete Krebs and Elliott opened the show. I was hooked and saw him pretty much every time he played LA over the next three years (and then in Austin a coupla times). My favorite track was (I'm a little sick of it now) "Say Yes." Other albums to pick-up (in order): XO, ELLIOT SMITH, FROM A BASEMENT ON THE HILL and FIGURE 8.

5) Luna BEWITCHED - This ranking might be a little high but I used to listen to Luna a lot. I've always been a sucker for Dean Wareham's monotone voice and his sense of humor. "California (All the Way)" has shown up on the most compilations over the years. You should also own PENTHOUSE and LUNAPARK.

4) Beck ODELAY - This is the highest ranking record that I never listen to at all anymore. It had its day. The best track is probably "Devil's Haircut." I also like MELLOW GOLD and SEA CHANGE.

3) The Flaming Lips THE SOFT BULLETIN - Some people like the early stuff better, but this is the peak for me. The best song might be "Race for the Prize." I also like CLOUDS TASTE METALLIC, HIT TO DEATH IN THE FUTURE HEAD, TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE SATELLITE HEART and YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS.

2) Teenage Fanclub BANDWAGONESQUE - Great power pop. I really like "What You Do To Me." I would also buy: SONGS FROM NORTHERN BRITAIN, 13 SONGS, GRAND PRIX and even HOWDY!.

1) Pavement CROOKED RAIN, CROOKED RAIN - Kinda defines indie rock. "Range Life" is a great song. SLANTED & ENCHANTED is pretty perfect too. But you should go ahead and get WOWEE ZOWEE and BRIGHTEN THE CORNERS too.

So there you have it. Don't even think about arguing with that list.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

now we're talking. bandwagonesque and crooked rain take top honors? i like, i like. how about favorite 70's albums next month?

Anonymous said...

this list bugs me.

Anonymous said...

silawe, your list is crime. sean lennon, tripping daisy? come on.

Anonymous said...

surprised the Deliverance soundtrack didn't make the list. Oh, never mind, this is the 1990's

Anonymous said...

Yeay! PAVEMENT! I like S&E more but I can put up with that. I love Wowwee Zowee and would put that up ahead of Crooked rain, cause my main complaint with that record is that it isnt long enough.

All these lists tell me that I gotta buy more records.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you how happy I am the Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque made your list. It reaffirms my hope for the world, really . . . and that's saying something.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry but I couldn't make my way through this list. You know I like you selections these days, but giving a token nod to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? C'mon. And no Sonic Youth? No Nirvana? Was the list really 95-2000, instead of the 1990s? Ok Computer gets an "also-ran" treatment, really? Sorry Duke, love all your passion for music, but this list is mostly wrong. Ha!