Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Little Ones / Kelley Stoltz

The last real show I went to was the Kelley Stoltz / The Little Ones / Irving show at the Echo on 5/19. I've been busy going out of town, resting up, going to barbeques and seeing XMen 3. By the way, The Little Ones are blowing up. They may have been the biggest draw that night (they definitely had the most people paying watching their set). By the way, why do so many LA promoters insist on booking four bands on most bills? I can understand wanting to get a lot of people out, but it's just too much. Very few people (including huge music fans like myself) have the patience to sit through four bands. It came into play again at the Echo with Kelley Stoltz's set. Apparently the first band (Kind Hearts and Coronets) went on late and played late. I've got nothing against those guys, but they play all the time and I'd just seen them. On that night I was there to see the other three bands. The Little Ones went on around 10:30. They were even better than the first time I saw them at the Echo. A friend who writes for a major LA newspaper thought they sounded better at their record release show, but I missed that one. Maybe my greater familiarity with their music enhanced this show? They've got a chance to blow up in a pretty big way. They just played their first show outside of LA (in San Francisco) and they'll be in New York on July 1st (the Bowery Ballroom). I plan to encourage all my New York friends to attend....New Yorkers can pick up their EP at a fantastic little record store called Other Music. And if you don't get Other Music's weekly newsletter, I encourage you to sign up. I've never heard of half the shit they write about, but that's the point isn't it? Download "Lovers Who Uncover"

As I've said before, I love Kelley Stoltz's new record. You've gotta give it a few spins before it sneaks up on you. He's listened to a lot of John Lennon and Ray Davies in his day. In some ways he's better live than on record, but it does help if you're familiar with his music. His band is tight, but unfortunately he wasn't really playing to his crowd at the Echo. A lot of people didn't seem to be paying attention. Some people left after the Little Ones and some people were there to see Irving. As you may remember, his last show at the Echo was cut short by a DJ night (they double booked the club and Saturday night is DJ night at the Echo). Believe it or not, they cut his set short this time too. I guess Kind Hearts and Coronets ran long? When Stoltz is playing his songs, he sounds great. I do wish he'd build a little more momentum - he sits down and plays the keyboards - then stands up, talks to the crowd and tunes his guitar - then sits back down and plays the keyboard again. On the other hand, he does a great job with song selection. He primarily focuses on his more upbeat songs (maybe because both times I've seen him he's only done about seven or eight songs?). I'm starting to think I'll have to go to San Francisco to see a really good Kelley Stoltz show.... Download "The Sun Comes Through"

Irving was the last band of the night. They played another crowd-pleasing set. They ended up playing the benefit at El Cid the next night too. If you missed those shows, check them out at the Viper Room on June 12th.... Download "Situation"

2 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

Nice review. I will definitely have to check out the Stoltz album. That's why I didn't rip on him at my review, I had a feeling I'd end up eating my words, so I figured saying nothing was better than saying something stupid (strangely I take my own advice so rarely). Nice point on the four bands. Seriously, by the time Irving came on I was over the whole thing and I really liked their set, but it was too late. It's ridiculous. I caught Serena Maneesh at Spaceland on a Sunday a few months ago and they didn't go on until 12:15. How are people supposed to work and go to shows. As far as I'm concerned the entire show should be over be midnight. Then again, as far as I'm concerned all of the Backstreet Boys should've been placed in Camp X-Ray sometimes shortly after 9/11. So what do I know?

Will said...

Love Kelley's record as well - and the Little Ones. Two of my favorites this year. We have a smiliar problem in SF with 4 bands on a bill. I don't mind waiting but I'd like to get out of a show before 2 AM>