Thursday, May 11, 2006

Weekend Music Options

Friday 5/12/06
The Bellrays @ Safari Sam’s ($10) – This is a great opportunity to see Riverside’s The Bellrays play a new venue with great sound. There were (or are?) plans to modify the stage to give soulful singer Lisa Kekaula even more room to strut around. With her huge voice and stage presence and the tight rock band, it promises to be a high energy night of fun. Win tickets at the other place I write, the LAist.

Mike Stinson @ the Mint ($10) – I saw him again last weekend. He’s my favorite local country-rock singer. Watching Tony Gilkyson effortlessly play guitar is always enjoyable.

Birdmonster @ Spaceland ($8) - Last time I recommended these San Francisco rockers they weren’t actually booked to play the show (turns out it was the resident band who booked them, not the fold - sorry Scott). Bloggers love them and I’ve heard tey need to be seen live to fully appreciate. Download “Resurrection Song” Also on Saturday at the Knitting Factory Alterknit Lounge

Tom Brosseau @ Tangier ($8) – I’ve seen him before at Largo. He’s a talented, acoustic guitar playing singer-songwriter (if you’re into that troubadour sorta thing). Listen HERE.

Bebel Gilberto @ Conga Room – I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl last year. It’s a little boring to me, but what do I know? She’s the daughter of João Gilberto and Miúcha. Also tonight (5/11).

Brazilian Girls @ Avalon ($20) – Going from a real Brazilian (Gilberto) to fake Brazilians. Nic Harcourt mentioned it today so it must be eclectic.

Very Be Careful @ Echo ($8) – Some kind of Columbian world music that I know nothing about. Harcourt mentioned them too.

Saturday 5/13/06
Elf Power @ Spaceland ($10) – Athens, GA band that’s associated with the Elephant 6 collective. They even run their own 150 acre land commune. The music can be a little inconsistent, but I still really love “Old Tyme Waves” from 1999’s A Dream in Sound.

The Fall @ Knitting Factory ($25) – According to the unofficial Fall website (linked to the left), the band and the tour manager quit four days ago and Mark kicked the support band off the tour. Apparently he found some new backup musicians and the tour will go on. I’ve never been a fan, but Stephen Malkmus is.

Birdmonster @ Knitting Facotry Alterknit Lounge ($8) – See Friday

Slow Music featuring Peter Buck, Fred Chalenor, Matt Chamberlain, Robert Fripp, Bill Rieflin and Hector Zazou @ the El Rey ($24) – It’s a heavy hitting lineup doing improvised music. R.E.M. was my favorite band for my first two years of high school.

KROQ Weenie Roast @ Verizon (Sold Out) – See the RHCP, several bands you might of seen at Coachella and a bunch of bands for kids.

Nine Black Alps / The Fever @ Troubadour – Nine Black Alps are to the Vines what the Vines are to Nirvana. I got the Fever’s new album in the mail this week. It’s not for me but it was supposedly inspired by David Lynch and Fellini soundtracks (which sounds cool on paper).

ABC @ the Key Club ($30) – ABC’s How to Be A Zillionaire was one of the first CDs my older brother got when he got his first CD player in 1985. We listened to it quite a bit. I recently found it at Freakbeat on vinyl for 25 cents.

Ane Brun @ Hotel Café (?) – Norwegian singer-songwriter. Her album came out this week but I haven’t heard it.

Mike Andrews @ McCabe’s ($10) – Composer and member of The Greyboy Allstars

Sunday 5/14/06
Mickey Champion @ the Living Room – Read the recent LA Times article about her – HERE.

Sunburned Hand of the Man @ Spaceland ($8) – They’re Arthur Magazine faves which means they’re probably “difficult.” I’ve seen their contemporaries the No-Neck Blues Band before, and I could only take it for 10 minutes. In an incredibly pretentious rock review, Pitchfork gave one of their records a 9.0.

Gods Gang / Abe Vigoda @ the Echo (Free)

5 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

I saw Sunburned Hand of the Man at Arthurfest with my little 17-year old cousin. This was perhaps his third show of all time, the other two being the White Stripes and the Chili Peppers. While said cousin loved the Black Keys, Sleater-Kinney and Sonic Youth when SHM came on, he only could ask me "how it was possible that a band could suck this much."

It didn't take much musical acument to agree with him. They both suck and blow, which is sort of hard to do I imagine. The Pitchfork review doesnt even begin to get into the pretentiousness of this band

Duke said...

that's hilarious. i will never understand the "exercise" of listening to bands like SHM or No-neck. even though i sometimes criticize a band like wolfmother for being totally derivative, at least it's fun to listen to. both you and your 17-year old cousin would probably have fun seeing them live.

Anonymous said...

you didn't mention the spores were playing with the bellrays!!?!

Passion of the Weiss said...

Funny you mention that, the first act we saw at Arthurfest that same day was Wolfmother. My cousin got really upset because he's obsessed with the White Stripes and Wolfmother's lead singer sounded EXACTLY like Jack White. They put on a decent show though. Agreed that they are completely derivative. But I can't deny that i like the Joker and the Thief in spite of it all.

Duke said...

wolfmother kind of splits the difference between sabbath and the white stripes. funny that it made your cousin mad.

i wasn't familiar with the spores until this weekend. somebody just gave me their CD, and i noticed a few upcoming shows, so they're on my radar.