Thursday, May 18, 2006

Weekend Live Music Options

Kelley Stoltz appears at the Echo on Friday
Friday 5/19/06
Kelley Stoltz / Irving / The Little Ones @ the Echo ($10) – This is one of my favorite lineups in a while. San Francisco’s Kelley Stoltz put out one of my favorite albums this year on Sub Pop. I saw him at the Echo a few months ago and he sounded great. I complained about his set being too short, so hopefully he won’t be rushed tonight. He writes songs that are informed by all the stuff you love from the late 1960s and early 70s but still makes it his own. Download “The Sun Comes Through” I’ve written about local guys, Irving several times in the last few months. Their latest album is super catchy and they put on a very energetic live show (see my review of their King King record release show). Their songs cover the spectrum from early 80s, Cure-style songs to Elephant 6 pop. Download “Situation” The Little Ones are my favorite new local band. The last time I saw them, I’d never even heard of them and they totally caught me by surprise. This time I’ve been listening to their EP, so I’ll be more prepared. They play indie pop (in the mold of the Shins and Fruit Bats). Download “High on a Hill

Helen Stellar @ Sideways [1430 N. Cahuenga Blvd.] ($10) – They seem to be Cameron Crowe’s favorite local band. He just reissued their album on limited edition vinyl.

The Aquabats @ the El Rey (Sold Out) – Sorry geeks, it’s sold out.

Black Pine / The Pandas @ Spaceland ($7) – Some ex-BJM members…

Ministry @ House of Blues ($35) – There was a time (around 1993) when I was a Ministry fan. $35 seems a bit steep. Also on Saturday.

Saturday 5/20/06
Benefit for
Fyn Stec @ El Cid ($10 donation) – This is a rare chance to see a bunch of your favorite local bands on one stage. See Aaron and Ariana of Earlimart, Kennedy, Great Northern (acoustic), Tigers Can Bite You (Dave Woody from Fiver’s new band) and surprise guests. It’s both a great cause and a chance to keep tabs on what’s been happening around the Echo Park/Silver Lake music scene. It’s a Ship Collective thing, so I would imagine Irving and/or Silversun Pickups will be hanging around too. Download Kennedy’s “Your Mama” Download Great Northern’s “Into the Sun” Download Tigers Can Bite You’s “Hawks (demo)

I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness / The Rogers Sisters @ the Echo ($10) – ILYBICD are from Austin. From their site, “Reminiscent to latter-era Talk Talk, with the introspection also comes passion.” Download “According to Plan” The Rogers Sisters are from Brooklyn.

Long Beach Neighborhood Festival @ Queen Mary Events Park ($25) – See Moving Units, Ima Robot, Whirlwind Heat, Mickey Avalon, Cold War Kids, Mika Miko and others. What’s the deal with Mickey Avalon? That LA Weekly article was so bizarre. His music leaves me speechless. Here’s a good chance to drink some Red Bull and see what’s going on with the dance-rock bands. Actually according to the website they have a “bear garden” for those 21 and up. Don’t forget your bear hunting rifle.

Glass Candy / Chromatics @ the Scene ($8) – Portland’s Glass Candy puts on “raw, glammy performances” Seattle’s Glass Candy is on local label, GSL. Also on Sunday at the Smell.

Sunday 5/21/06
Smiths and Morrissey Tribute Night @ the Echo (Free) – See Lavender Diamond and The Moon Upstairs plays some covers and DJs spin the originals.

Chromatics / Glass Candy @ the Smell ($5) - Also on Saturday at the Scene

5 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

I actually heard if you look up no talent ass clown in the dictionary it only has the words: Mickey Avalon. Webster's said this was an unorthodox procedure but ultimately very necessary.

Will said...

Enjoy Kelley Stoltz. I saw him in SF last night, and he played for a good long while. It was a fantastic set.

Duke said...

mickey avalon is so unbelievably awful that you almost have to hear it once to believe how awful it is.

Anonymous said...

The "don’t forget your bear hunting rifle" took me a few seconds to get. Then I laughed. Out loud, even.

But won't you look silly when you arrive at the Long Beach Neighborhood Festival and find an area filled with live bears? And you without your rifle...

Anonymous said...

don't forget Kind Hearts and Corndogs are playing that show tonight at the Echo! I think.
And what IS up with Mickey Avalon?!?!?!?!? I never heard of him and all of a sudden he's on the cover of the LA Weekly?