Saturday, March 21, 2009

Silversun Pickups at Stubbs






Standing in line at Stubbs, I was a little worried for the Silversun Pickups. As the two massive semis on Red River indicated, this was a Metallica show. If you still weren't sure the rumors were true, the first 150 people in line were in black Metallica shirts. As soon as the doors opened, the diehards sprinted to the front of the stage.

Bassnectar opened the show. I would see Girl Talk every day for the next five years if you promised me I would never have to see Bassnectar again. Mashing up the most obvious samples from Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, the Beatles. Ick. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the dreadlocked stagehand dancing in front of me and imagined that this must be what Burning Man is all about. Hell.

Stubbs was finally filling up by the time Silversun took the stage. Brian Aubert engaged the hardcore Metallica fans in front, telling them that how much he loved their devotion, and joked, "Don't worry, the Spin Doctors will be out shortly." 

There was a good share of Silversun fans in the house. The band looked most comfortable with the old songs, but previewed four (that I remember) from the new record. Fans will be very happy. The crowd erupted when they started "Lazy Eye." Seeing Metallica's crowd respond to them so positively showed how much they've grown as a band. 

photo credit: Sylvia

No comments: