Since Pitchfork finally reviewed the Foxymorons yesterday I can finally compare my top 10 list to Pitchfork....
What Pitchfork Thought of My Top 10
1) Sufjan Stevens ILLINOISE - ranked #1 in Pitchfork's top 50 - rated 9.2
2) Spoon GIMME FICTION - ranked #43 in Pitchfork's top 50 - rated 7.9
3) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah S/T - ranked #18 in Pitchfork's top 50 - rated 9.0
4) Fruit Bats SPELLED IN BONES - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 6.3
5) My Morning Jacket Z - ranked #42 in Pitchfork's top 50 - they rated it 7.6
6) Broken Social Scene S/T - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 8.4
7) Low THE GREAT DESTROYER - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 5.5
8) Pernice Brothers DISCOVER A LOVELIER YOU - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 5.8
9) The Foxymorons HESITATION EYES - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 7.3
10) Rogue Wave DESCENDED LIKE VULTURES - unranked in top 50 - they rated it 7.8
It's a little weird that the ratings don't correlate at all to the final rankings....Broken Social Scene rated higher than many of the albums in the top 50 but it was snubbed.
What I Think of Pitchfork's Top 10
1) Sufjan Stevens ILLINOISE - Great choice!
2) Kanye West LATE REGISTRATION - I really can't support any record with Jamie Foxx and the guy from Maroon 5 on the first two singles.
3) Art Brut BANG BANG ROCK & ROLL - I still haven't heard this and I don't care if they're like the Fall.
4) M.I.A. ARULAR - This gives me a headache but I can understand why other people like it.
5) Antony & the Johnsons I AM A BIRD NOW - Totally unlistenable.
6) Deerhoof THE RUNNERS FOUR - Unlistenable and it gives me a headache.
7) Animal Collective FEELS - I haven't heard it, but I thought their last album sucked.
8) LCD Soundsystem S/T - I only heard that Daft Punk song and thought it was stupid.
9) Cam'Ron PURPLE HAZE - This came out in 2004 and I didn't hear it then either.
10) Wolf Parade APOLOGIES TO THE QUEEN MARY - This is totally overrated but I don't like Modest Mouse.
What does all this prove? That I have a pretty narrow range of indie yuppie musical tastes? Maybe so.