Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Night Music Options 5/31/07

The Hold Steady Play the El Rey Tonight
Tonight's Pick:
The Hold Steady / Illinois / Blitzen Trapper @ El Rey (Sold Out) - In the past, I’ve expressed my confusion over the popularity of the Hold Steady. So I decided I’d give their much praised live show a chance. Are they this decade’s Grifters (a talented bar band that music snobs rally around to show that they’re not really music snobs, but then has their CDs relegated to the dollar bin two years later) or are they a band that people will still remember ten years from now? After tonight I hope to have the answer. Download “Your Little Hoodrat Friend
Also Appearing:
The Black Pine / Xu Xu Fang / The Pity Party @ the Echo (Free) – It’s a solid local lineup and it’s free. Can’t go wrong with that.
Electrelane / Tender Forever @ Troubadour ($15) – I missed Electrelane at the Greek. I heard they weren’t bad.
Women and Children @ Silverlake Lounge ($8)
East West Quintet / Ninja Academy / PB&J….and G / Super Robot @ Land (in Little Toyko)
HR of Bad Brains @ Viper Room ($15) – I still remember when he got thrown in the tank in Lawrence, KS for a while.
Petra Covich @ Spaceland – For the KCRW/Aimee Mann fans. Download “Summer Trees” and “Telephone

3 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

Look for me at Hold Steady. I'm curious to see what you think of these guys. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-tom said...

The Hold Steady is well worth your while, they truly deliver live.

Can't say Illinois is at nearly the same energy level as The Hold Steady but they put on a fine show as well.

Unknown said...

For what it's worth, I was really blown away by Illinois. I thought they were a very pleasant surprise, and an excellent match for the Hold Steady, who were great as always -- perhaps a little disappointingly so, in the sense that they were definitely only as great as always. Check out Illinois next time they come around -- you'll like 'em.