Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tonight's Music Options - Arcade Fire or Voxtrot?

Arcade Fire Play the Greek Tonight & Tomorrow
Tonight's Pick:
Arcade Fire / Electrelane @ Greek Theatre (Sold Out) – Lyrically, the new Arcade Fire album is very much the product/work of someone in their mid-twenties. At its worse, it’s the musical equivalent of Zach Braff’s Garden State (albeit far less self-absorbed). That said, I still think its one of the best albums of the year. Win Butler’s ambitious and interesting even for somebody no longer in their mid-twenties. The fact that he’s got a great band that puts on a high energy show means I’ll be there singing along (to myself of course). Also appearing tomorrow.
Also Recommended:
Voxtrot / Au Revoir Simone / Sound Team @ El Rey ($15) – The new Voxtrot album’s better than you’ve read. In fact I’m enjoying it as I write this. If I wasn’t going to Arcade Fire, I’d be there. Download “Kid Gloves” and “The Start of Something
The Amateurs / The Parson Red Heads / Merle Jagger / Light FM @ the Scene – Solid local lineup. This is the Amateurs CD release party. Does a week go by without a Parson Red Heads show?
I Know less about these:
Tribute to Jeff Buckley @ Room 5 [143 North La Brea] ($10)
Sam’s Birthday: HDR / The Binges @ Safari Sam’s (Free) – The owner’s birthday celebration.
Lay Low @ Silverlake Lounge ($8) – They came all the way from Iceland.
Holly Ramos @ Hotel Cafe - The LA Weekly Recommends.

No comments: