Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Dodo's "Fools"


Here’s my weekly reminder to tune-in to Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd) tomorrow from Noon – 2:00 PM PST on Little Radio. On tomorrow’s show, funnyman Matt Dwyer will be filling in for Todd (who is currently out on the road with the Radar Bros.). Sylvia and Matt will be joined in the studio by I Make This Sound.

Each week on the show, they play an official You Set the Scene song of the day, and then I (eventually) write about it here. On April 24th, my pick was the Dodo’s “Fools.” The Dodos are a San Francisco indie folk duo that I got turned on to a bit later than a lot of people. By now, most of you have probably recognized that, unlike a lot of my blog brethren, I’m pretty careful before recommending new bands. Anyway, they’re one of a handful of new bands that I can happily recommend. (I really like 12 of the 14 songs on the record).

The press for the record has been solid (they’ve got an 81 on Metacritic). A quote on their website from the San Francisco Bay Guardian says: “Elliot (sic) Smith meets Iron & Wine.” I like both of those artists, but don’t think of either one when I listen to Visiter. People also compare them to Animal Collective, which seems to make Animal Collective fans mad (but what doesn’t?). The only real similarity is that they’ve got an experimental spirit (mostly in terms of tempos) and play within an acoustic music context. The drummer has a lot to do with that.

Download these tracks and decide for yourself - “Fools” and “Jodi
Watch the video for “Fools” on Youtube

No comments: