Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Photos/Review: Dr. Dog @ Hotel Cafe





I just got back from the Dr. Dog show at the Hotel Cafe. Before they'd even played a note, Tables (the bass player) asked the crowd if we all felt like we were crazy, because that's how he feels when he's in LA. Somebody responded that it's something in the water and he said "I guess that's why I'm not thirsty." I wasn't sure how I felt about that, but luckily it didn't matter after they started playing...

We All Belong was in my top 10 list last year, and I still love it when I hear it. Dr. Dog's not on a full scale tour right now, so I assume this was a showcase of some sort. If you haven't been to the Hotel Cafe, let me start by saying that it's at Hollywood and Cahuenga (home of Cinespace, Beauty Bar, Star Shoes and other lots restaurants celebs invest in). Let me follow that by saying, that the Hotel Cafe had a second show of the night starting at 9:00 PM (so a one hour set was the absolute best case scenario). And let me follow that by saying that although the venue is tiny, stage right of the venue is cluttered with tables. Not the best environment for a Dr. Dog show. Not surprisingly, the band felt a bit stiff at first (also note that I've been fighting a cold and stayed in last night to try to preserve my health).

After a few lower energy songs, it was the Dr. Dog that their fans know and love. Great, melodic rock 'n' roll. The band toys with the classics (Beach Boys and Beatles) but bring a fresh and fun perspective. The handful of new songs from their forthcoming record, Fate (out on July 22nd), sounded like a natural progression beyond We All Belong. The familiar tracks from We All Belong still sounded fresh and fantastic. About 8:50 the sound guy informed them that they only had time for one more. Bummer. They finished on a high note to huge applause. They made us all anxious for the album release on July 22nd (and the show at El Rey on August 8th).

All photographs were taken by Sylvia
For more of her photos check out my Flickr set

2 comments:

Porter McHewen said...

Wanted to go to that show really badly (sold out in 12 hours??!!) but didn't getta. Glad that it was short and kind of so so, not meaning that as a put down to Dr. Dog. Can't wait for El Rey.

Duke said...

yeah, it was still a really good show - just probably would have been a lot better at the troubadour or spaceland....