Monday, March 06, 2006

Live Music Options 3/6/06-3/9/06

Goblin Cock plays Wednesday at Spaceland.

I'm so sick of Spoon's "I Turn My Camera On" right now. If you watched the Oscars and the aftershow in LA, you heard that song eight or nine times in a Jaguar commercial. I was ok with the Pontiac ad, but this is overkill. There are three shows I'd really like to see on Wednesday and the rest of the week is light.

Monday 3/6/06
Division Day / Birdmonster @ the Echo [FREE] - Division Day is playing for free every Monday in March and they're generous enough to have some downloads on their website. Birdmonster is a San Francisco band that's getting a lot of attention from blogs at the moment. You can download a song off their site.
Download Division Day's "Tigers"
Download Division Day's "Tap-Tap, Click-Click"

The Lashes / The Glass Family @ Spaceland [FREE] - The Lashes are playing for free every Monday in March. I'm not a fan. They look and sound like what would happen if you put the Strokes and Hot Hot Heat in a blender. I wrote about the Glass Family on Friday.

The Parson Red Heads @ Fold/Silverlake Lounge [FREE] - The Parson Red Heads are playing for free every Monday in March. They sound pleasant and poppy but I haven't heard much of their stuff. Sorry.

Tuesday 3/7/06
Isobel Campbell / Magnet / Peter Walker @ Troubadour [$12] - Former Belle & Sebastian member and Stuart Murdoch's ex-girlfriend in a solo performance. I think it's kind of boring but maybe you disagree? Magnet is a singer-songwriter from Norway. Peter Walker is a local singer-songwriter and founder of Dangerbird Records (along with Cast Management).

Animal Collective @ Vanguard [$15] - Freaky, eccentric critical darlings (Pitchfork gave their last record a 9.0) that I don't really get. But then again I'm not a big fan of most "experimental" rock.

Polysics @ Knitting Factory [$12] - Devo disciples from Tokyo. It's chaotic synth rock.

Wednesday 3/8/06
Goblin Cock @ Spaceland [$10]- Goblin Cock is Rob Crow's (Pinback) heavy metal project. It's pretty silly with the black robes and names like: Lord Phallus, Bane Ass-Pounder and King Sith. But if you like Pinback, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, comic books and Black Sabbath then you should like it.
Download "Stumped"

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs @ Hotel Cafe [?] - I talked about this last week but didn't see the show. I did read a good review of it. They pick some great covers and they have an album coming out. Also at SXSW and at the Roxy on 4/22/06.

Kris Kristofferson @ Troubadour [SOLD OUT] - He's a legend touring with his first album of new material in 11 years. His albums from the early 1970s are well worth tracking down.

Thursday 3/9/06
Qui @ the Scene [$7] - They're a heavy local band that's influenced by the Jesus Lizard and Melvins.

She Wants Revenge @ the Fonda [SOLD OUT] - I think they're terrible, but maybe you're a fan? Say hi to Fred Durst for me.

No comments: