Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Voxtrot's Raised By Wolves EP


I blogged about Voxtrot a few weeks ago to help promote their show at the Echo. At that point, I'd only downloaded a track and hadn't heard their full EP. I was surprised when I checked out their Myspace profile and they had over 100,000 profile views. I went out and bought the Raised By Wolves EP (I checked two record stores before finally finding it at Amoeba). I've been listening to it non-stop since then. Their music is heavily influenced by 1980s British pop like the Smiths....

Track 1 - "Raised By Wolves" - Very good song about a relationship that collapses due to a lack of committment by one person. "Being young and stupid and raised by wolves."

Track 2 - "The Start of Something" - Download this one. Super catchy toe-tapping song about infatuation with a girl. The most Smiths-like track.

Track 3 - "Missing Pieces" - This one's less poppy and more jagged which matches the wounded lyrics. "I miss you." Fans of all the dancey post-punk bands might like this one.

Track 4 - "Long Haul" - Slower and hopeful with hand claps at the end. "I wanna catch your love and make it stay."

Track 5 - "Wrecking Force" - Another quality song about adolescent love.

Voxtrot's next EP comes out on Tuesday 4/4/06. LA's Irving will be supporting them on the east coast and midwest (including two sold out shows at the Mercury Lounge in New York). On May 26th Voxtrot will open for Elefant at the Wiltern.

4 comments:

Passion of the Weiss said...

I definitely agree with you on the Voxtrot EP (and their latest one might even be better). I actually caught their show at the Cooperage at UCLA the night after their Echo show. I thought they were amazing. I actually blogged about how incredible it was that they got the cooperage rocking out, despite it being prolly the worst venue in town to play. If it even counts as a venue.
Good work on the blog by the way. I love the title, don't think you can find a better LA band than Love. I've been reading your site for a while and definitely appreciate the well thought out opinions and all the MP3s.

Anonymous said...

Austin band, eh?

Duke said...

thanks for the kind words. can't wait to hear the new voxtrot....

Anonymous said...

they played most of their stuff from their new ep when they played the echo a while back. I agree with the weiss, they were amazing and they even sold their new ep at the show. so, I have been enjoying that for a while.