Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Marmalade's "Rainbow"


This is my weekly reminder to listen to Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd) on Little Radio Thursday from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Tomorrow their guest will be Brian Aubert, lead singer of the Silversun Pickups. They'll be giving away some tickets to Spaceland's 13th anniversary show and Sylvia will be playing songs from many of the bands who will be performing.

Each week on their show I pick a song and then write about it here. On January 31st my pick was Marmalade's "Rainbow." I honestly don't know a whole lot about Marmalade. They're a Scottish band that formed in the early 1960s. Their original name was the Gaylords (which is a pretty awesome band name). The band probably never got the respect they deserved because their biggest hit was a cover of the Beatles "Obla-Di, Obla-Da." Anyway, about five and a half years ago, Castle released The Very Best of the Marmalade on CD and I picked it up. There are 14 songs on the disc, and about eight of them are really good. The music falls somewhere between mid-period Beatles and the Left Banke. Standout tracks are: "Reflections of My Life," "I See Rain" and "Rainbow."

As I was writing this entry, I checked out the Marmalade entry on All Music and decided to use an iTunes gift certificate to download a few more Marmalade tracks. So far I've downloaded "Carolina on My Mind" and "Dear John" and "And Yours Is a Piece of Mind" and I'm wondering why they're not on the Best of the Marmalade. If you're a fan of 60s lite-pysch-rock/baroque pop then check these guys out. You might want to go on iTunes and make your own best of.

Listen to Marmalade on Myspace

No comments: