Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Music Releases 2/19/08


Unlike last week, there are a lot of great reasons to hit the record store this week. Here are a few that caught my ear/eye....

Things I’ve Heard:

Atlas Sound: Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel (Kranky) - If a website were capable of gang banging (in a happy way, not a scary way) an artist, then Pitchfork would gang bang Bradford Cox. He's a young guy who publicly airs a lot moments that probably shouldn't be publicly aired. The Deerhunter album and this album both have some nice moments, but if you're over the age of 25, a lot of the lyrics and the show might feel a bit too painful to relive. See them at the Echo on 3/11/08.

Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago (Jagjaguwar) – I already wrote about this one HERE. It's a good record. At the Echo on 3/20/08.

Ray Davies: Working Man’s Café (New West) - Ray Davies is my favorite lyricist of all time, so the expectations are always high when he releases a new album. I listen to those Kinks records from 1965 - 1971 more than anything else. So how's this new album? It's good. There are only a handful of rock 'n' roll guys in their sixties who can pull off something like this. Davies has America on his mind. The songs are about politics, religion, war, aging and the homogenization of America by big business. Most of the songs work for me lyrically and many of the songs have great melodies. My only complaint is the slickness of some of the playing by the band and in turn some of the production. "You're Asking Me" stands out as my favorite track because of the 1960s-esque arrangement. Overall, it's a good record that I can easily recommend for crazy Kinks fans like myself. However if you don't own Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, Lola and Muswell Hillbillies, then you need to do some homework first. No word on any local dates yet.

The Epochs: The Epochs (Rebel Group) - Brooklyn indie pop band. They were recently Spin's band of the day. I haven't listened to it enough to say anything else.

Monade: Monstre Cosmique (Too Pure) - If you're a big Stereolab fan, then you'll like this. This is Laetitia Sadier's (the singer in Stereolab) side project that sounds just like Stereolab. I'm kind of a greatest hits guy when it comes to Stereolab, but found several songs on here that I liked.

The Mountain Goats: Heretic Pride (4AD) - I've never gotten into the Mountain Goats and I've never given them an honest shot. I've heard songs over the years, but been turned off by John Darnielle's nasally voice. When I got a copy of this one, I decided to change that. The first couple of listens were rough. The voice was still a turnoff. But after the fourth or fifth listen I finally started to get to the root of the reason why his fans are so fanatical. The guy's just a really unique songwriter who approaches songwriting like a fiction writer. He's literate and his songs have a strong narrative with lots of imagery and a liberal use of metaphors. I'm not a complete convert yet, but Darnielle's an interesting artist with something to say. Catch them at the Troubadour on 3/4/08 and 3/5/08.

The Raveonettes: Lust Lust Lust (Vice) - Here's another band that I've completely ignored over the years for whatever reason. I've only heard this a couple of times, but it's growing on me. They're known for doing early rock 'n' roll sounding songs filtered through Jesus & Mary Chain distortion. That's accurate. At the root are simple, but very melodic songs with distortion and an icy cool veneer. I might eventually become a convert to these guys too. Critics more familiar with their other albums are calling this a return to form. See them at El Rey on 3/4/08.

Two more that I'm curious to check out:
Grand Archives: The Grand Archives (Sub Pop) - This is the new band from Mat Brooke who was in Carissa's Wierd and then formed Band of Horses with Ben Bridwell. Brooke was on that first BoH album, but never really toured with them. Since I like that first Band of Horses a lot better than the new one, I'm thinking Brooke might have had something to do with that. Some of the tracks on Myspace sound pretty good. Download "Tom Blue Foam Coach" See them at the Troubadour on 2/29/08.

Throw Me the Statue: Moonbeams (Secretly Canadian) - That Aquarium Drunkard character recommended this one the other day. I download a couple of tracks and they're damn catchy. One day I will brave the traffic and go to the one remaining record store in LA proper with a healthy new vinyl selection and buy this. Download "About to Walk"

Other Noteworthy New Releases:
Allison Moorer [Royce Hall on 3/25/08], American Music Club, The Company, Cryptacize, Envy, Flowers Forever, Gary Louris [at El Rey on 3/21/08], The Grand Archives [at the Troubadour on 2/29/08], Headlights [at Silverlake Lounge on 3/19/08], The Heavenly States [at Spaceland on 3/8/08], Marianne Faithful, Mike Doughty [at El Rey on 4/30/08], Morcheeba [at the Fonda on 4/13/08], Panther

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem with Davies' other solo album....the band was just a little too slick and over produced. Still loved the f' out of it.

I didn't realize he had a new one coming out! Good news.