Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New Music Releases 3/11/08

Still playing catchup; SXSW put me way behind. I haven't heard any of these releases yet, but I plan on getting the Hymns and Why?.

Released on 3/11/08

Local Interest:
Evangelista: Hello, Voyager (Constellation) – This is Carla Bozulich’s (Ethyl Meatplow, Geraldine Fibbers, Scarnella) new record. Bozulich is a longtime fixture on the LA music scene and frequently collaborates with Nels Cline. She’s adored by serious critics as a genre shifting artist that you can’t pigeonhole.

Other Noteworthy Releases:
Black Hollies: Casting Shadows (Ernest Jenning) - mp3 and mp3
Cassettes Won’t Listen: Small Time Machine (self-released) - mp3
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien: Eleventh Hour (Definitive Jux)
Hymns: Travel in Herds (High Wire Music) – Spin compared these guys to Pavement and the Flying Burrito Brothers. There’s piano and pedal steel. Haven’t heard it yet, but it’s on my list. The bits on Myspace have some Grateful Dead (and prolly Allman Brothers) in there too.
Jaymay: Autumn Fallin’ (Blue Note) – At the Bordello on 3/28/08 mp3
Kaki King: Dreaming of Revenge (Velour Recordings) - At the Roxy on 3/26 mp3
Snoop Dogg: Ego Trippin’ (Geffen)
Why?: Alopecia (Anticon) – Another genre defying band. I’ve heard great things about this one too, but I haven’t heard the whole thing yet. It’s on my list. mp3

No comments: