Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Feelies' "Raised Eyebrows"


This is my weekly reminder to tune in to Sinking with Sylvia (and Sometimes Todd) on Little Radio Thursday from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Tomorrow their guest will by Jimmy Tamborello (Postal Service, Dntel, James Figurine, etc.). Jimmy won't be playing, but they'll be spinning all 7" vinyl.

Each week they play a song that I've selected and then I write about it here. My pick on April 10th was the Feelies' "Raised Eyebrows." I picked this track, because I recently read on Pitchfork that the Feelies are going to reunite for their first gig in fifteen years (opening for Sonic Youth on the 4th of July in New York). I don't remember exactly when I got into the Feelies, but I'm guessing it had something to do with my R.E.M. obsession in the late 1980s/early 1990s (Peter Buck co-produced their second album).

The Feelies are one of those critically revered bands that never achieved any mainstream success. Their first and best record, Crazy Rhythms, came out in 1980 on Stiff Records. When I hear the term jangle pop, I always think of the Feelies. Unfortunately the band's CDs and LPs are all out of print (both formats typically sell for about $50 used). But if you can get your hands on Crazy Rhythms, I strongly recommend it.

Unfortunately I'm pressed for time, but check out these resources:
The Feelies' entry on All Music
A decent video of the Feelies doing "Deep Fascination" (from their third album) on YouTube

No comments: