Tuesday, April 08, 2008

New Music Releases From 4/1/08 (one week late)


I wonder if there are a lot of people in the world (other than me) who like the new Quarter After, the Sword and Borko records?

Albums Released on 4/1/08 (I'm still a week behind):

Things I’ve Heard:
Annuals: Wet Zoo EP (Canvas Back) – A little less manic than their debut CD, there’s nothing as immediately catchy (or derivative) as “Brother.” But if you’re a big fan of the band, you should enjoy it. I got a decent number of hate comments when I criticized their live show at Spaceland a couple of years ago. See them at Coachella on 4/27 and the Natural History Museum on 6/6. Download “Sore
Borko: Celebrating Life (Morr Music) – Indie electronica from Iceland’s Björn Kristiansson. While mostly instrumental and melancholy, a couple of the songs feature singing. Recommended for fans of the genre. I’m usually not much of a laptop rocker, but I’ve been enjoying listening to this while I’m driving and working. Download “Dingdong Kingdom
The Sword: Gods of the Earth (Kemado) – This is the Austinites follow-up album to their Sabbath-obsessed debut. As on Age of Winters, there are plenty of kick ass riffs and ridiculous as hell lyrics inspired by Norse mythology. They seem to be a little less sludgey and a little more thrash obsessed. The best song title this time around has to be, “Fire Lances of the Ancient Hyperzephyrians.” It’s a lot of fun. See them at El Rey on 4/18.
Various Artists: My Blueberry Nights soundtrack (Blue Note) – See the guest review HERE.
Astrid Williamson: A Boy for You (One Little Indian) – For old school Liz Phair fans? See original guest review HERE.


Local Interest:
The Quarter After: Changes Near (Committee to Keep Music Evil) – In a rare instance of great timing, I got this one in the mail right before a trip out to Joshua Tree. The obvious touchstone is the Byrds, some of the vocals even sound a lot like Gene Clark, but it also brings to mind the best of some of the Paisley Underground bands (and be default, early R.E.M. on a couple of tracks). The Campanella brothers go way back in the LA music scene with deep ties to Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Tyde and Beachwood Sparks. It’s a quality record. See them at the Echo on 4/18. Download “See How Good It Feels” and “Turning Away

Things I Haven’t Heard Yet, But I Should Have an Opinion About:
The Black Keys: Attack & Release (Nonesuch) – Danger Mouse produced this. Several people have told me it’s really good.
Los Campesinos!: Hold On Now, Youngster…. (Arts & Crafts) – Seems like it’s probably for kids, but the single was pretty fun. At Troubadour on 6/7
R.E.M.: Accelerate (Warner Bros.) - My favorite band in high school, I just haven't enjoyed any of their albums since 1992. At the Hollywood Bowl on 5/29.
Sun Kil Moon: April (Caldo Verde) – I’ve always like Mark Kozelek’s voice.

Other Noteworthy Releases:
Apples in Stereo b-sides collection
Apollo Sunshine
Ardent Records compilation
Bryan Scary (mp3)
Colour Revolt (mp3 and mp3)
The Electric Pop Group
Lili Haydn
Robyn Hitchcock unreleased collection [at El Rey on 4/11]
Ministry
Kylie Minogue
Moby
Muse live album
Willie Nelson box set
Poi Dog Pondering [at Troubadour on 5/12]
Rolling Stones live
The Wood Brothers [at Hotel Café on 4/24]

No comments: