Thursday, October 02, 2008

Five Observations About My Bloody Valentine Live

Just a few words about last night’s My Bloody Valentine show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

Observation #1: The surprising availability of tickets

I was completely on the fence about going until Jeff Weiss offered up a ticket (to buy) via text. So last night, after a stop at my favorite record store in West LA, Record Surplus, I ventured over to the show. Much to my surprise, I found a free parking spot right in front of the venue. Good start. Jeff wasn’t there yet, so I strolled over to the will call area. Within thirty seconds of standing there, I was offered my first (of three) free tickets for the show. Too late, I’d already agreed to the purchase.

Jeff showed, and half-heartedly tried to sell another extra ticket. No takers (not even for $20). So we started brainstorming for people we know on the Westside. He found a taker on his first call. One of the people I walked in with couldn’t even give away one of his tickets. Meanwhile, I hear that the Sigur Ros show at the much larger Greek Theatre is sold out for tonight (as is tonight’s MBV show). Guess that’s what happens when you don’t put out an album for 17 years (and charge $60 for tickets).

Observation #2: The line to get in was insanely long

The line was fucking ridiculous. At 9:00 PM it was about 500 people long, snaking completely around the parking lot. We decided to wait out the line and join Kevin Bronson for a margarita at the Mexican restaurant across the street. Turns out that Scott McDonald had the same idea. I will respectfully disagree with him on the drink prices though, Jeff, Jeff’s editor and I paid $32 for a very weak pitcher of margaritas. The service was incredibly slow, so by the time we made it over at 9:45, nobody was in line.

Observation #3: Earplugs are not optional

In both Randall Roberts and Kevin Bronson’s reviews, they have some great observations about the volume. I’m not used to seeing that many Marshall Amps on stage, so I reached for my earplugs as soon as they started. (I recommend the re-usable, musician-style earplugs over the foam). Scott McDonald mentioned that he really didn’t think it was all that loud. But that’s probably more of a statement about how loud it was the other times he’s seen them. During the 17 minute feedback finale, “You Made Me Realise,” I stood outside and listened to the windows rattle.

Observation #4: They don’t call it shoegaze for nothing

The crowd was completely sedate, even by Los Angeles standards. I left during the last song to hit the bathroom, and I saw a guy sitting in the front row of the seats sleeping.

Observation #5: The show was really good, but short of transcendent

I had a lot of fun and I’m glad I went, but I wouldn’t pay $60 again to see them in that size of venue. I know the hardcore fans will totally disagree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time did MBV actually go on last night?

Duke said...

sorry I didn't see this earlier. must have been around 10:30. then they played about 77 minutes (15 of which was pretty much unlistenable feedback at the end).