Friday, October 31, 2008

New Music Releases 10/21/08



Paris put me way behind on writing. And since most of these records came via digital copies from the publicists, and since my computer crapped out on me (thanks Mac!) after I downloaded them, I haven’t really spent a lot of time with any of these releases yet….but here’s some information. Take it for what it’s worth (very little). Parts & Labor and The Sea and Cake are my picks for the week.

New Music Releases 10/21/08:

Records I’ve Heard:
AC/DC: Black Ice (Columbia) – Starts off decently, but then drags on way too long (does the world really need a 56 minute AC/DC album?). It brings back memories of cruising my home town in my buddy’s CRX with the “Thunderstruck” blaring. I still prefer Bon Scott era. The Wal-Mart exclusive paid off for them with over 800k sold in the first week. See them at the Forum on 12/6/08 and 12/8/08

Brother JT3: Jelly Roll Gospel (Drag City) – I haven’t spent much time with this yet, but it’s the acid/psych rock version of Brother JT. Hard to believe he’s been doing it since the mid-1980s. It’s vinyl only and limited to 500 copies

Cornelius: Sensuous / Sensurround (Cherry Red) – Deluxe CD/DVD version of the album. I honestly haven’t had a chance to look at the DVD yet, but I enjoy most everything Cornelius does.

The Dears: Missiles (Dangerbird) – This is the first Dears record I’ve listened to (and the first for LA’s Dangerbird Records), so I can’t be much of a judge. All I can say is that it’s easy to listen to, but ultimately a little bit dull.

Parts & Labor: Receivers (Jagjaguwar) – This is my first time listening to Parts & Labor too. I’ve only listened to this once, but so far I’m impressed. It’s on the listenable side of noise rock. They do interesting things with electronic feedback, but still write songs. Recommended for fans of the more noisy side of indie rock. At the Smell on 11/3/08. MP3: Nowheres Nigh

Pit Er Pat: High Time (Thrill Jockey) – Chicago post-rock. This is one of those bands (like Deerhoof) that I’d probably like better if they were instrumental. I just can’t take the singing at all. At the Smell on 11/8/08. MP3: Evacuation Days

The Sea and Cake: Car Alarm (Thrill Jockey) – I still love their first three albums the best, but this is a welcome return to form after the disappointing Everybody. If you’re new to the band, you might want to pick up their first album first, but long time fans shouldn’t hesitate to buy this. At the Troubadour on 12/3/08 & 12/4/08 MP3: Car Alarm

Local Interest:
The Whispertown 2000: Swim (Acony Records) – I haven’t gotten through this one yet. At the Echo on 11/2/08. MP3: Done with Love

Other Noteworthy Releases:
+ / - - MP3: Snowblind
The Dead Trees
Brett Dennen – At Hotel CafĂ© on 11/7/08 & 11/8/08
Electric Six – At Key Club on 11/7/08
Erik Friedlander
Sebastian Grainger – MP3: American Names
Heavy Hands
Herman Dune
High School Musical 3 – soundtrack
Hush Arbors – MP3: Follow Closely
Waylon Jennings
Lake – MP3: Blue Ocean Blue
Gary Louris EP
Lydia – At El Rey on 11/11/08
Mythical Beast
Night Horse
Of Montreal – At the Palladium on 11/22/08
RTX – MP3: Cheap Wine Time
Simon Bookish – MP3: Dumb Terminal
White Hinterland – EP – MP3: Chant de Grillon
Hank Williams III

No comments: