Friday, February 10, 2006

Album Review: Hudson Bell


Artist: Hudson Bell
Album: When the Sun Is the Moon
Previous Albums: Under Boxes and Dirt and Captain of the Old Girls
Label: Monitor Records
Release Date: 10/11/05
Hometown: San Francisco
Los Angeles area live apperances: 3/3/06 Tangier and 3/4/06 @ Sea Level Records 3:00PM

Highly recommended. I slept on this when it came out last year. Then I heard a track on one of those internet radio stations and it immediately caught my ear. Bell has a slow singing style with a slight drawl and it doesn't sound like he opens his mouth very much when he sings. The few reviews I've read compare his voice to Stephen Malkmus (pretty fair comparison). The guitars are thickly layered with lots of fuzz. The press materials compare him to Doug Martsch (fair comparison as is J Mascis) and Neil Young. The lyrics are sensitive and often heartbroken with some nice metaphors.

1. Slow Burn - My favorite track, but be patient because it doesn't kick in for two minutes. "Need a drink when you're feeling like a loaded gun." Love is a slow burn.
2. Atlantis Nights - Download this one. It's representative of how the rest of the album sounds. "How did it come to this? I can't let you go."
3. Falls - Layered acoustic guitar with nature imagery in the lyrics. "When the sun becomes the moon."
4. Seven Cities - Back to the layered fuzz guitars. Early settler metaphors and "we're on a road to joy."
5. Midnight Year - You need another one to save you from the day. Church bell breakdown at the three minute mark, nature sounds, harmonica and then the guitar comes back.
6. Strange Lands - My second favorite track. "It felt so good to be alive when you were right there by my side." "I'm standing on the roof thinking about getting high. Maybe I don't know what love is but at least I gave it a try."
7. Sea Horse - Another seven minute track. "I can see your face in the sky."

No comments: