Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Live Music Options 2/21-2/23

Rogue Wave in the picture - Wednesday at the Fonda.

Tuesday 2/21/06
Les Savy Fav / The Hold Steady / Thunderbirds Are Now! / Swearing at Motorists @ the Avalon [$17] - For the indie rockers. Les Savy Fav play Fugazi-like rock. I've heard they're great live. Pitchfork gave the Hold Steady's last album a huge 8.7/10. I don't like the two tracks I downloaded. Thunderbirds Are Now! play the dancey post-punk that still seems popular. I'd go to see Les Savy Fav.
Download The Hold Steady's "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"

Cheap Trick @ House of Blues [$33.50] - For the power poppers. I doubt I could justify paying $40 (with service charges), $10 parking and $10 drinks to see a band 25 years past their peak but those first five albums are great.

Wednesday 2/22/06
Rogue Wave / The King of France / Nada Surf @ the Fonda [SOLD OUT] - For the indie rockers. I'm a big Rogue Wave fan (search previous posts). I like the King of France (read previous posts). I've always avoided Nada Surf but I hear I should give them a chance. If I hadn't seen Rogue Wave and The King of France within the last few months I'd definitely go.
Download Rogue Wave's "10:1"
Download Rogue Wave's "Publish My Love"

Supergrass @ Avalon [$25] - For the britpop fans. I had to get their greatest hits compilation to get into them, but now I really like them. I recommend it if you ignored them like I did. I've never seen them live, but I've heard they're well worth checking out.

Thursday 2/23/06
Dengue Fever @ Tangier [$10] - Psychedelic Cambodian rock isn't for everybody, but if you're open to it I highly recommend Dengue Fever. They're finally starting to find a broader audience outside of LA.

Peter Walker @ Spaceland [$5] He's a singer-songwriter and his album will be released April 11th on local label Dangerbird Records. Members of Earlimart and Grandaddy played on his album.

Mice Parade @ the Echo [$8] - For the post-rock indie electronica fans. I tend to find it a little boring, but I know there are a lot of fans out there.

No comments: