Artist: Jeff Tweedy / Nels Cline opened the show
Venue: Henry Fonda Theater
Jeff Tweedy put on a really engaging show at the Henry Fonda. He told really amusing anecdotes (about a snobby record clerk at Amoeba San Francisco and about his son). With a couple of exceptions, the crowd was incredibly respectful. One uber-dork in front of me (as he stroked his girlfriend's hair like Lenny from Of Mice and Men) kept shouting song requests. The most annoying request he made was "the vaseline song" - apparently a reference to "She Don's Use Jelly" by the Flaming Lips. Tweedy was in the middle of talking about his son and got really confused. I will admit that I got tired towards the end. After a really long day of work and dealing with LA traffic, standing on your feet for two hours listening to an acoustic guitar can get old (even as great as Tweedy was). He was careful not to repeat too many songs from the night before, which made me feel a little robbed since he played some of my favorite songs the night before. As you can see from the setlist below he drew from his entire career and played some obscurities. Other than my minor complaints it was a great show.
1. Spiders (Kidsmoke) A Ghost is Born
2. She's A Jar - Summerteeth
3. Pieholden Suite - Summerteeth
4. I'm Always In Love - Summerteeth
5. Lost Love - Golden Smog's Weird Tales
6. Someone Else's Song - Being There
7. Wait Up - Uncle Tupelo's March 16-20, 1992
8. Forget The Flowers - Being There
9. Pick Up The Change - A.M.
10. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11. The Ruling Class
12. new song (Is That The Thanks I Get?)
13. Theologians - A Ghost Is Born
14. A Shot In The Arm - Summerteeth
15. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
16. Dash 7 (with Nels Cline on dobro) - A.M.
17. In A Future Age (with Nels Cline on dobro) - Summerteeth
18. Cars Can't Escape (with Nels on lap steel and Glenn Kotche on drums)
19. The Late Greats (with Nels on lap steel and Glenn Kotche on drums) - A Ghost Is Born
20. Airline To Heaven (with Nels on lap steel and Glenn Kotche on drums) - Mermaid Avenue Volume 2
21. Blasting Fonda - Feeling Minnesota s/t
22. Passenger Side - A.M.
23. When The Roses Bloom Again (with Nels on lap steel and Glenn Kotche on drums) - Chelsea Walls s/t
24. War On War (with Nels on lap steel and Glenn Kotche on drums) - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25. I'm The Man Who Loves You - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26. New Madrid (performed at edge of stage, without PA system) - Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne