Friday, January 05, 2007

Friday Night Music Options - 1/5/07

The Bronx Play Safari Sam's Tonight
After a pretty slow week for music, things are picking up again.....
Tonight's Pick:
The Bronx / Qui / 400 Blows / Sirhan Sirhan @ Safari Sam’s ($12) – I haven’t seen Sirhan Sirhan, but the other three bands are three of the better heavy (in the punk way) bands that LA has to offer. This is a great chance to see them all on one stage. Qui now has ex-Jesus Lizard singer, David Yow as a full time member. I still haven’t seen 400 Blows with their new-ish guitarist, but I’ve heard it hasn’t slowed them down at all.
Also Perfectly Awesome:
The Clean Prophets / The Shakes @ Knitting Factory ($8) – Here’s another chance to see one of my favorite local bands, the Clean Prophets. This time the show is all ages. See my posts earlier this week for more information. The Shakes are on Jim Freek’s label, Teenacide.
Ferraby Lionheart / Charlie Wadhams & the Harmony Brothers @ El Cid ($5) – I need to see Ferraby Lionheart one of these days. He’s a talented local singer-songwriter.
Bobb Bruno @ the Smell ($5) – He’s good people, and he plays in a bunny suit.
I know less about these, but they sound intriguing:
The View @ the Viper Room - Buzzy new Scottish kids. They're at Spaceland on Saturday night.
Crime in Choir / Triclops / Health / Federation X @ the Echo ($7) – Night two of GSL’s 2nd Annual Flood & Mudslide Season Warm Up Party.
Minutes ‘til Midnight / Year Long Disaster / Black Palms @ Spaceland (?) – Minutes ‘til Midnight sound like they probably own a few Spiritualized and My Bloody Valentine records. Year Long Disaster is Daniel Davies’ band (you know, Dave Davies son). I apologize for pointing that out again, but the Kinks are my favorite band of all time.

No comments: