Friday, January 05, 2007

Saturday and Sunday Night Live Music Options

Hippies with Flying Vs - My Morning Jacket Play the Wiltern on Saturday

Saturday Night’s Pick:
My Morning Jacket / Elvis Perkins @ Wiltern (Sold Out) – My Morning Jacket is one of the best live acts working today. I’ve seen them a handful of times, and with one bad festival exception at Austin City Limits, they’ve always pleased me. They didn’t put out a new studio album in 2006, but they did release a double live album and live DVD, Okonokos. Most live albums are snoozers, but this one gives you a pretty good taste of their power as a live band. A lot of my indie snob friends dismiss them as lame, Skynrd revivalists, but that’s off base (and anyway, what’s so wrong with Skin-Nerd?). Jim James is a versatile songwriter who has probably listened to a lot of Neil Young and the Band, but also likes to cover Wham and Lionel Richie. Jeff Weiss wrote a gushing review of their recent San Francisco shows and has some live MP3s of those weird covers. Opener Elvis Perkins used to live in LA and would occasionally play with Let’s Go Sailing.

Nearly Equally Rad:
Stephen Malkmus @ El Rey (Sold Out) – I love a good 75% of the stuff Malkmus has done. He has a bunch of new material that he’s going to road test. Janet Weiss (Sleater-Kinnney and Quasi) is his new drummer. Hopefully he’s not quite as intent on showing everybody what a good guitar player he is. If you already bought tickets for My Morning Jacket, you might consider buying Malkmus tickets for the Glasshouse in Pomona next Friday the 12th; I think that’s what I’m going to do.

Intriguing But I Know Less About Them:
The View / Monsters Are Waiting @ Spaceland ($10) – Really young Scottish kids. Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream called them his favorite new band.
Polar Goldie Cats @ How2HQ [1515 South Vermont Avenue] (Free)
The Ditty Bops @ McCabe’s (Sold Out)

Sunday 1/7/07
Indian Jewelry / Clipd Beaks @ the Echo (free before 11pm, $5 after)
Signal Hill Transmission @ Molly Malone’s ($7)
Death Valley Days / Spacelord @ Spaceland (Free)

1 comment:

Passion of the Weiss said...

how was the show...waiting for the review...hopefully I didn't ruin it for you by all the hype.