Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wednesday Night Music Options 1/24/07

Hella Play the El Rey Tonight (I don't think the guy in the middle's one of the new members)


Tonight's Pick:
Deerhoof / Hella / Busdriver @ El Rey (Sold Out) – Hella and Deerhoof are two headache rock bands. Deerhoof put out a new record yesterday. I’m not really into it but if you’re a music critic or your name is Thom Yorke or Jeff Tweedy, then you probably like it. Hella has a new record coming out next Tuesday called, There’s No 666 In Outer Space. It’s pretty good if you like Zach Hill’s trademark, manic drumming patterns (which I inexplicably do). I’ve never seen him play live, so I’m curious. By the way, they’re no longer a duo; they’re a five-piece. Busdriver is a local underground rapper. My friend Ringhoff advises getting there early to check him out.
Also Intriguing:
Chief Cornfoot’s Comedy Hour @ Sea Level (Free) 7:00 PM – Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe from 24), Jerry Minor, Jonah Ray, Eddie Pepitone, etc.
The High Society / Gwendolyn @ the Stone [5221 Hollywood Blvd] – The High Society features: Jason Moore, Mike Stinson, Josh Schwartz, Rob Douglas, Bryan Brown and Rik Sanchez! I've never been to the Stone but I've been meaning to check it out.
Club NME: The Solutionists / Gram Rabbit @ Spaceland (?) – Advance tickets sold out for this one, but you might be able to get in at the door. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. The Solutionists isn’t the real name of the band. Check the link. Maybe you don’t care? Maybe I don’t care? Who knows. At least it won't be status quo.
Club Low End Theory @ Airliner – With host Nobody
Fishtank Ensemble / Leviathan Brothers @ Tangier ($10) – You like gypsy music?
Rockinsider Presents: Light FM / The Valley Arena / Thieves and Liars / Stepsonday @ Silverlake Lounge ($7) - I don't know much about these bands. Go over to Rockinsider for more info....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, that guy in the middle is in the band. He's part of the touring band. He plays skinflute.