Thursday, January 04, 2007

Peter Bjorn & John - Buy Tickets for the Roxy on 2/1/07

If you're anything like me, then you're a blog hating blogger who skims other blogs. I read about Peter Bjorn and John for months before I finally broke down and shelled out the $23 for an import CD. These Swedes are incredible. Had I gotten this record in time, it probably would have made my top five records in 2006. I put one of the songs on my best of 2006 compilation and it's the one track that everybody either asks me about, or tells me how much they already love it. The standard critic and blogger line is that they combine Motown, 80's synth pop and power pop. I don't hear an overt Motown thing (or an overt Phil Spector sound either). I do hear some baroque pop, synth pop (not in a cheesy way, but synth-y in a good, Moby way - if good Moby's not an oxymoron) and some mid 90's American indie rock (I hear a touch of Superchunk on some of the more rocking songs). Even if you hate most twee indie pop, I think you'll really appreciate this.
Writer's Block will finally get a domestic release on February 6th on a new label called
Almost Gold Recordings. Since the record's already sold a ton of expensive import copies to suckers like me, they're adding a special six song bonus disc. I strongly urge you to buy this record. There are at least seven great songs on it; three of them can be streamed at their Myspace page. I was playing the record so much that I recently bought their second album so I wouldn't get so sick of the this one as fast.

They just announced three US dates and one of them is in Los Angeles. They will be appear at the Roxy on February 1st. I've been told that tickets will go on sale tomorrow (although it wasn't on Ticketmaster last I checked) for $16. This show will sell out, so don't hesitate to buy tickets. Pitchfork reports that Victoria Bergsman of the Concretes (who sings on "Young Folks") will be with them. UPDATE - BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE
Download "Young Folks" (courtesy of Pitchfork)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up!

(btw, Phil Spector didn't work for Motown)

Duke said...

yeah i know spector wasn't a part of motown. once again i was connecting two thoughts without being clear(critics keep comparing PB&J to either spector or motown). to me those comparisons are as meaningless as saying that somebody was inspired by the beatles. no shit. wasn't every guitar pop band inspired by the beatles?

Anonymous said...

the pb&j album is pretty rad. what track was your pick for the comp? p.s. phil spector shot me in the dick.

Unknown said...

nice...just picked up a few. Thanks for the heads up!

Duke said...

haven't heard the first album and i'm just digging into the second one.

i put "young folks" on the best of comp; but there were a few other strong candidates.

Unknown said...

the video for "young folks" on their site http://www.peterbjornandjohn.com is rad!